Can anyone spare some chaeto?

dave w

I'm starting some quarantine tanks and need all the macro algae I can get.  The tanks are in a greenhouse so I plan on using lots of sunlight and algae as filters.    

I'm looking into ordering some cultured macro algae from ORA, has anyone had experience with their red and green gracilaris?  My concern is hydroid introduction.  I'm going to try and raise larval fish and hydroids really cause havoc in larval systems.  I'd like to prevent/delay hydroid introduction as long as possible.  

Finally, if a local source of chaeto comes in with hydroids, I assume that low levels of pesticide will kill them, but does anyone have an organic cure?  Walt says seahorses will eat them, what else does?  I really need a 100% cure so I might have to go the pesticide route, but I'm hoping for an organic answer.

Thanks in advance,

Dave W.

OK, I read that panacure can eliminate them but I can probably rule out getting snails to live after the treatment.  Maybe I'll just panacure the treatment tank and then do water changes.

in order of fastest growth-

Grape Caulerpa- noxious and tends to overrun systems $

Feather Caulerpa- same as above $

Chaeto- fast growing and excellent nutrient sink $

Gracilaria- another fast grower and palatable by Tangs $$

Halymenia- Dragon's Breath...does best under high flow and high lighting. Tangs love it too $$

Ochtodes- blue ball algae is a slow grower but very beautiful $$$

Sawblade Caulerpa- slow grower and very beautiful...tends to accumulate coralline algae on its' surfaces. $$$

All of this is readily available on eBay

in order of fastest growth-

Grape Caulerpa- noxious and tends to overrun systems $

Feather Caulerpa- same as above $

Chaeto- fast growing and excellent nutrient sink $

Gracilaria- another fast grower and palatable by Tangs $$

Halymenia- Dragon's Breath...does best under high flow and high lighting. Tangs love it too $$

Ochtodes- blue ball algae is a slow grower but very beautiful $$$

Sawblade Caulerpa- slow grower and very beautiful...tends to accumulate coralline algae on its' surfaces. $$$

All of this is readily available on eBay

Rob, thanks for this overview.  If I can't get enough macro algae locally then I will order more on ebay.  I'll look them up. 

I run a caluerpa mix and don't have any issues with it at all. (I do have it blocked off in the sump so it doesn't get into the display) All my herbivores eat it too.

yet.

We used caulerpa back in the day and never had issues until one day....

You'll be growing it all just fine, then some astrological event occurs and then the caulerpa goes sexual and releases all of its' stored nutrients back into the water column.

Years can pass before this happens, but it almost always happen. 

Literally a ticking time bomb and imho, a good enough reason not to use it.