magnetic frag plug

Huly

I was at Marine Scene today as I need some supplies to frag our green slimmer. I asked if they had a suction small frag rack and they showed me these magnetic plugs. The magnets are super strong almost similar to the magnetic glass cleaner.

I think they are cool and I haven't seen them before.

IMG_20150401_205525198_HDR_zpsiroiydat.jIMG_20150401_205531720_zpsloiq4n5q.jpg

IMG_20150401_205543743_zpsx5osqkdq.jpg

I have never seen these before and they are super cool.  Supposedly some use these to get coral to grow on the back of their tank.

I was recently looking at solutions like this myself. For instance:

http://www.thealternativereef.com/ar/Products.html (magnetic frag shelf)

http://www.aqua-mags.com/ (rock mags)

Anyone using anything like this? Was thinking about magging it to the overflow box.

Yes, I've used several from the alternative reef. quality pieces, used with algae free magnets (super strong) he also makes clam holders, which are super neat. He should be at MACNA this year, and will probably bring along his sweet collection of frag plugs. I highly recommend all alternative reef products. You can see the piece in my 2 tanks 1 room build thread.

Yep!  I have some too on my tank.  Here's the problem with the overflow idea (feel free to correct my logic).

The magnet on the inside of the tank is supposedly reef-safe and won't leach.  Usually they're covered in ceramic or something.  But the outer piece isn't.  If you put this in your overflow, then it will be in contact with saltwater.  I know I've read about concerns regarding magnet leaching in tanks.

Currently I have mine on the back wall of the tank, but not the overflow.  I glued stuff on my overflow instead. 

I really want a couple of the alternative reef peices. Hardest think is finding what I want. Everytime I contact him he says most of his stuff is going overseas. I'll def have to hit up his booth first at MACNA!

I have a very nice one from alternative reef that came from last macna. Marco brought it home for me in his luggage. Thanks Marco! Super strong as others have said. I like these magnetic plugs too. Very cool way to grow coral without adding even more rock to an already overcrowded tank.

FYI:

On Apr 6, 2015, at 06:49, Scott Gebhart <info@thealternativereef.com> wrote:

Our outer magnet is the same as the inner magnet. Completely encased in plastic. They are Sure Grip 100's.

Scott

Alternative Reef,llc

The ones I have I would not trust the magnet in the tank for reasons like Tricia mentioned and I do not see how it is encased in plastic. 

So far Homer (our Lawnmower Blenny) has not been able to remove them change them etc.  Another plus for these bad boys LOL