precautions running pumps/skimmer in acid bath?

AlanM

Are there any concerns for metallic/magnetic components of pumps when running a muriatic acid bath on a skimmer for a while?  I took the CS1 skimmer with it's MJ1200 feed pump and PSK1000 recirc pump off the child care center tank today because it was processing less and less water.  It's at home running tap water and muriatic acid while the little calcium worms and feather dusters and various other goop and scale dissolves. 

I assume everything electrical is well sealed or else it wouldn't run well under saltwater, but are there other concerns about the pumps when running in an acid solution?  Like a maximum amount of time spent in acid?

I'll use either a 1:10 dilution or 1:100 dilution when using concentrated muriatic acid from Lowe's when cleaning stuff. The 1:100 dilution is more like vinegar in its activity. The 1:10 is for speedy jobs. I've used both dilutions for hours (even overnight) without problem.

I use baking soda to neutralize the acid once the pumps are clean. You can get a huge bag at Costco.