T-5 Vs. MH ?

phisigs79

Ok i am probably going to start a huge debate but thats what we are here for. Ok I have been looking at JM's T-5 project and had a idea for the 125g (68 inches long). Currently have a 250w 20k and 2X65w PC Actnic on my 55g. Should I:

1) Dual 250w MH

2) 4x54w T-5

3) Ideas?

I'm not sure if this would even be enough for this tank or not. I know the T-5 are 48 inch which means 1 foot of no light on each side. As for the 250w MH i believe that they are the same with 48 inches of light spread but not sure if the T-5 would have a wider spread and would make up for the foot on each side. LMK what you all think!

Guest Edwardj

How deep is your tank, and how wide? If it is 2 ft wide, I'd bump up to 400w MH. Also, if you are running actinics and a 20k, that is a lot of blue - I'd consider a 10k, or at least a 15k. I think that might round out the color nicely. I've seen your tank, and it looked good - my vote would be to add another 250k. Do you have room for the PC's and the T-5s? That is what i did - I built a canopy and added a pair of T-5's to my 2 pc's and one MH.

And the kicker: I am about to buy a used 6ft tank with a VHO setup. The tank did really well with the VHO's - but I really like MH's. So - add that to the debate - VHO - MH - T5 - or what combination?

[0quote name=phisigs79' date='Mar 22 2006, 03:55 PM' post='56925]

Ok i am probably going to start a huge debate but thats what we are here for. Ok I have been looking at JM's T-5 project and had a idea for the 125g (68 inches long). Currently have a 250w 20k and 2X65w PC Actnic on my 55g. Should I:

1) Dual 250w MH

2) 4x54w T-5

3) Ideas?

I'm not sure if this would even be enough for this tank or not. I know the T-5 are 48 inch which means 1 foot of no light on each side. As for the 250w MH i believe that they are the same with 48 inches of light spread but not sure if the T-5 would have a wider spread and would make up for the foot on each side. LMK what you all think!

You know they make 5' T5 bulbs right?

It depends really on what you want...

There are pluses and minuses to each...

If you want a low finished canopy go T5... if you want a higher canopy (or pendants) OR you really must have shimmer lines go MH

Dave

Ohh and what are the tank dimensions?

(W x D) would really help to determine bulb count/configuration for either setup.

Dave

I like the look of MH over T5

i looked at T5 lighting for my new tank, having een other tanks running T5's and comparing them against my old MH setup forum write-ups and other peoples i stayed with MH and VHO actinics.

I'm not really one for the technical stuff, par levels and the like T5 will be easier on your elec bill, with 4X400watt 10k's you don't want to see my bill

I'm afraid people with T5's will have to chime in here, you do get the shimmer on your tank bottom with MH over T5, MH produce more heat, good in winter, not so in summer, it is tempting to say there is not a lot you can't keep under MH, but from what i've read an heard it is also true of T5's.

I stayed with MH and despite the bigger elec bill, i'm very happy and my growth rates and colouration in a young tank have convinced me i made the right choice.

HTH

Anton

I have a 6x24w T5 fixture on my 65g tank. The fixture is 24" and the tank is 36"......and I still get coverage. the T5s still give you the shimmer effect but nowhere near as much as the MH. There are also no heat issues with T5s. I'm able to keep SPS anywhere in the tank with no problems. However, some mushrooms don't like the T5s. I have green hairy mushrooms that are thriving......but my purple mushrooms don't look so hot. All in all I think that it's just a matter of personal preference.

ok tank is 72x18x23. I was aware that they made 5' T-5's. What wattage are they? I am doing a in wall setup so my space won't be a problem as i am making a fish room! I like they idea of not having to worry about the heat with the T-5's but love the shimmer. Would 2x 250w be enough? How about 2x 250w 20k and 4x 65w pc's 10k? to me 400w seem like over kill but i might be wrong.

The 5' T-5s are 80W/bulb...

With your setup I would consider 3 x 250W MH + suppliments OR 6 x 80W T5

Dave

I have really been considering Qty. 4 or 5 T5 HO's over my inwall 75. Heat was a real pain until I got a chiller. Now I have a noisy chiller that cuts on from time to time. I work out of my home office a great deal... so that chiller can be a pain sometime. Anyway, the T5's would replace my current mix of MH's and VHO's. I just need to make the jump and go visit BRK and get some lamps, endcaps and reflectors. I've got many WH 5 & 7 ballasts laying around I can use.

At this point, I've been thinking I want two of the GE daylight bulbs with two or three other bulbs to brighten the yeller' up a bit. That is if I decide to go that route.

On a 72" tank most would say 3X halides, but with a properly configured reflector and bulbs,

2X could work handsomely.

My frag tank is a 40B which is 36Lx18wx12h and I use 1x 10kMH and the light distribution is very even over the entire foot print.

I've had halides so long I honestly don't notice the shimmer until I look for it.

I think T5, if they don't get beat out by LED, will become a serious contender as they continue to develop.

Like I said in my other thread, I am very happy with the overall results of the T5s. It did sole the heat issue I was having with the MH, since a chiller is out of the question in my specific case.

As far as the lenght there are many option you can explore, look at Tim's (Folta) setup he has only T5s over his 180. He went for a combination of shorter bulbs.

If you wish, you can come over and have a look at it.

I would say that the T5s are a serious contender for MH.

An alembic rogue 5 string (I belive the picture is my fretless, I also have a fretted version looks exactly the same... well other than the frets :)

Dave

Just went to Alembic's web-site... schweeet! & $$$$$$$$

An alembic rogue 5 string (I belive the picture is my fretless, I also have a fretted version looks exactly the same... well other than the frets :)

Dave

Well let's just say I bought mine used (both of them) and a bit dinged up... so I paid nowhere close to retail... but the sound is pretty awesome (especially the fretless)..

Dave