Feed your fish

paul b

OK I got a theory.  Not a very good theory, but a theory none the less.  I had an epiphany, that's an idea.  I was looking at my tank last night and something hit me.  I mean, after my wife hit me.  I read all the time of the problems, diseases, fish dying (or going off to college) water problems, ich, things that don't eat etc.  I know the solution to all these fish problems.  Yes, I said it numerous times but here it is again because I just thought of it again. 
I think we should forget (temporarily) the water purity problem.  Parameters and all that, For a minute.  Just a minute.   Feed the fish, then feed them again,  Feed them what they are supposed to eat.  No, they are not supposed to eat pellets or flakes and if that is all you want to feed them, go and watch Oprah give away a Cadillac to a bunch of homeless catfish.  Overfeed the fish or feed them a couple of times a day.  Fish are not like us.  We worry about losing weight and not having cellulite or those bags under our eyes.  Some of us belong to the Hair Club.  Well, I don't but some people do.  After we feed our fish (the correct foods) so that they are spawning (or at least looking at Girly magazines) then change the water.  After that, change it again.  But the main thing is the fishes health through food, not water.  Our fish are crying out for good food, that's why disease threads predominate these forums.  If your water parameters are screwed up, change the water, but feed the fish.  I personally feed clams every day (along with live blackworms)  I also use whiteworms because I am not prejudice to anything.  But the clams are great for the fish and corals because when you shave pieces off clams (or put them in a blender like some people do, but I don't) they exude clam juice.  Clam juice is composed of tiny pieces of clams along with whatever is in clam juice.  I just made a big pot of clam chowder so I know clam juice is great stuff.  Corals love clam juice even corals that you didn't think were eating.  If they have a mouth, they eat (or at least sing)and some of them are so tiny that clam juice is the only thing they can eat.  I have been feeding my fish clams for probably fifty years so that is a lot of juice going in my tank and yes, the clam juice clouds the water a little.  But to corals that is an all you can eat smorgasbord.  The cloudiness dissipates in a few minutes and if you look close, you can see those little polyps grinning from ear to ear, or whatever polyp's grin to.   
I think we worry to much about nitrates, phosphates and anthrax and we are starving our fish and corals.  Virtually all my paired fish are spawning, even the 24 year olds and it is because of the food.  I do not have to quarantine
(I don't want to argue about that so if you want to debate me about it send a self addressed envelope to my house where I will ignore it)  If you need to or want to quarantine, that is up to you and none of my business what you do.
But if you want to keep your fish disease free and never want to post on a disease forum, feed your fish correctly.  Lettuce is also not a fish food. 
So feed the fish, and change the water.  Don't skimp on food because you are worrying about parameters.  (or global warming)  Your fish can't read the test kits anyway.  If you are more into SPS corals, don't have to many fish, but feed the ones you have correctly. 
I keep pipefish, shrimpfish, mandarins, ruby red dragonettes and all sorts of things that people feel are difficult with no problems.  They are all even spawning.  So all of this is Just my opinion of course.  If you disagree start your own thread called Paul B doesn't know a fish from an Emu. :rolleyes:

I'm excited to try out the black worms, never used them before. I've used bloodworms and the fish always seemed to love them but I think they just love worms period :lol: Healthy fish are resilient fish, no doubt about that. I like keeping the lil suckers plump. 

Healthy fish are also always full of eggs.  The females anyway.  All paired fish that are healthy are spawning providing they are the type of fish that can spawn in a tank.  Not whale sharks or manta rays.  But clowns, gobies, cardinals, pipefish and dragonettes should be spawning if they are paired.   Spawning fish do not get sick.  I wrote an article about that but it was already on here

I'm not trying to commercially hack your thread Paul but I agree 100% with what you are saying. Part of my nutrition talk a few weeks ago at the Omaha Zoo was based on the premise that as aquarists our biggest obstacle is often balancing adding nutrients into a tank with how we export them to avoid nuisance algae. I would suspect that in an effort to keep nitrates and PO4 lower many folks inadvertently under feed which hampers immunity which can lead to the onset of disease and infestation of pathogens such as crypto, etc.  Getting a new arrival to eat and get healthy after being purged at the wholesaler or transshipper is often half the battle!

You and I discussed blackworms a while back and I took your suggestions and bounced others off many fish breeders. We decided to add them our foods in January and the protein content went from 12% to 18%. The only other change was the addition of fresh marine fish eggs. The blackworms and fish eggs permitted us to add a complete, encapsulated food which did NOT foul the water and was not simply a powdered additive or supplement that floats away.

How do we know this made any beneficial difference in the health of the fish?

Shortly after sending this new blend into several aquaculture facilities in Florida the reports of increased spawning, increased vigor, and healthier broodstock began pouring in. The Tropical Aquaculture Lab in Ruskin, FL is using our blackworm/fish egg enhanced Fish Frenzy® blend in detailed studies right now and documenting spawns, egg counts and other factors to see how a change in diet actually effects things like hatch rate and larvae mortality. From these trials we were invited to sponsor the Rising Tide Conservation Program where the same foods are going to other scientists for evaluation, including a cooler sent to Hawaii.  I don't think it is coincidence that when we got this same food in the hands of the frequent posters of the "Clownfish Breeders USA" Facebook group that reported spawns and egg counts went through the roof. We have added some of these breeding testimonials to our site recently: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/testimonials.html

So shameless plugs aside, what many breeders and biologists are finding is that diet DOES make a big difference in the health of captive fish. When I was in Omaha I was amazed at how many folks in the crowd ONLY fed flake and frozen brine shrimp on a daily basis. I'm not implying that you have to feed LRS to keep your fish healthy. I would encourage you to feed EVERYTHING you can get your hands on THAT IS QUALITY to add diversity and balance your feeding program.

Try some mysis, clam, NLS pellets, squid, XYZ cube, or what ever else you like. Just mix it up! Many dry flake and pelleted foods are heat processed to the point that vital aminos and lipids have been denatured significantly. Whole, fresh or minimally processed food sources are always superior IMHO.

Next week we are heading to NERAC a day early to visit my friend Todd Gardner at his biology lab where he has some very exotic fish. He has been doing much research on diet and also has been very helpful to us sharing information so I'm not pulling the info above out of thin air as a sales pitch.

Feed often, feed clean foods, vary the diet and your fish will be healthier, more vibrant and less susceptible to disease, just like Paul said.

BTW- Here is the new blend I am referring to....

Blackworm%20new%20label_zpsy3bpo8uz.jpg

Fresh Eggs:

6CDC4998-BCA9-45CA-AFE4-AC0921A30827_zps

Blackworms:

C209A9C4-A24A-49AF-A6E1-48421B2DE765_zps

I discussed the possability of adding blackworms to foods with Larry of Reef Frenzy and I am thrilled that he did it.  His food was very good before the worms, but now it is better and I have some of Larry's first batch of food with the worms in it.  I use it a few times a week and it seems to be an excellent food.  I do most of the time use my own stuff but some commercially available foods such as Reef Frenzy is just more convenient and I know what Larry puts in it which is the reason I use it.  (I wouldn't eat it myself though, not with the worms anyway)

The worms along with the fish eggs would force many fish to fill with eggs and get into spawning condition which is something I am always espousing.  I also discussed this with another fish food company a few years ago and they ignored me.  That may be why their food is not that good and will not get fish into breeding condition.

I may have to pick up some of Larry's food with the worms and fish eggs as mine doesn't have eggs in it and although I do sometimes buy fish eggs, I can't always get them.

Hey Paul thanks for the props! Are you coming to NERAC next weekend at the Long Island Aquarium? I will be floating around the facility all day Saturday and at the banquet Saturday night. 

BTW Paul, Aquarium Village has the new Fish Frenzy in stock as far as I know.

(edited)

Larry, I don't even know what NERAC is.  Remember, I got into this before there was any acronims, even before there was an alphabit so I don't get involved much in meetings unless I am speaking, but I rarely listen to myself.  I have been to a couple of Long Island Reef club meetings and Manhattan Frag swaps and I go to the Aquarium once a year or so.

If I am free I will try to get out there.

I go to Aquarium Village every week and may go there tomorrow.  They are moving a block west I think this week

Edited by paul b

Thanks Larry.   Actually I am free next weekend and my good friend owns two hotels with in a mile from there but it is not a long drive for me and I have friends there so I go all the time.  I would like to go and will hopefully decide in a couple of days.  Maybe i will see you there.

You should come Paul! Gonna be some great speakers! I just got back from AV and they said moving mid april. They did in fact have the new blend and got myself a pack! Can't wait to feed later!!!

How many times a day do you feed your fish Paul?

I usually feed most of the fish once a day but the pipefish, mandarins, shrimpfish etc sometimes I feed twice a day with the new born brine shrimp.  But either way I put the shrimp in the feeder every morning so they can snack all day.