RoDi setup and storage?

nextlevel808

Ok this might be long so I'll appoligize now but just want to go over everything I have noticed or experienced before. Well after getting tired of continuously buying water I decided to buy the BSR 6 stage water saver unit that produces 150g a day. Now set up and installation isn't a problem as it seems a breeze by looking at instructions. My questions are for clean water storage what do people do and use? I watched BSR's video and saw they use 2 Rubbermaid trash cans. I'm not a big fan of these as I think I would like a sealed or mostly sealed container. My reasoning behind this is I use a Rubbermaid trash can to mix my salt water which it works great but one time while mixing a batch I had noticed that I guess my wife had put the lid on over night when I removed the lid it smelled like a dirty wet trash can does not I know this was brand new and never used for trash but it had a weird smell. I don't want to have my nice clean water with the same smell. But then again I'm not sure if a different type of plastic container sealed would do the same. I am looking into maybe a 250g fire suppression water tank for home sprinkler systems. It has a bigger screw on lid then I can pipe out of the bottom drain with a ball valve to get my water out. Can I get others thoughts or am I just over thinking all this? Thanks everyone you all are a great help in the past.

Currently, I have two 44-gallon Rubbermaid Brute trash cans that I use for fresh & salt water. I've had this set up for close to a decade now. Both containers were bought new and cleaned before use. They've never seen trash. They are cleaned annually. I'm switching over to two 75 gallon polyethylene storage tanks in the near future - purchased as part of a group buy here. The reason for the change is mostly just the added capacity. 

Rubbermaid Brutes have been used for a long time with success. But, I'm pretty sure that anybody in the hobby that's employed them has started with new containers and not used. 

If you do select an alternate container, consider something that's advertised to be food-grade or made from a food-grade material (such as polyethylene). 

I'm in the same boat as Origami. I've been using Rubbermaid Brutes, but am moving over to a pair of polyethylene tanks as well. The only issue that I have ever seen with Brute cans is that some of the ones that have been recently produced seem to leach phosphates into water stored in them. Otherwise, just follow Origami's advice and you'll be good to go.

I used a 20 gallon aquarium from petco ($1 per gallon sale, 20 bucks, hard to beat) on my 210+30+75 system. Even with high evaporation, it still wouldn't go through that in less than a week and it was simple enough to have a float switch in there to tell me when to refill it. Also, beauty of an aquarium is that I could also see inside it with no effort. It requires a bit of attention to remember, but still. I also had that float switch hooked up to an apex to text me when it was low and another on the top to tell me it was full, but it's really not necessary, I'm just forgetful and lazy.

It's a cheap easy solution vs buying rubbermaids. However, before that tank, I used two 32 gallon rubbermaids (bought new and cleaned) for fresh water and salt water storage with no smell problems. They were great, just used a lot more space and were much harder to see into.