Lighting??

Bambi28982

Hello, had a pet store recommend a Florissant light and it killed a lot of my coral, re-established it and would like to know the best lighting Time, bulb, lighting, ect. for a 10 Gal mini tank with Kenya trees and frog spawn.
THANKS!!

It is a 10G and I have an LED with white/ blue( Aqueon ) and an 18 inch Coralife 50/50 T8 floressant bulb. a Fan to move water and a protein skimmer with heater of course about 8 lb of live rock and 5 fish

The "best lighting" can be a really subjective question. It really depends on the tank, what you're trying to grow, aesthetics, and your budget. These parameters don't always line up well. 

For a little 10 gallon tank like you're talking about, if you stick with some rather hardy LPS (like your Frogspawn) and softies, you can probably get away with a rather inexpensive light that clamps onto the side of the tank. For example, you can pick up a Wave-point 12-Inch 16-Watt Super Blue and DaylightMicro Sun LED High Output Clamp Light on Amazon for under $60 and have it delivered in 2 days (if you're an Amazon Prime member). The one that I pointed to is colored well towards the blue end which bothers some people, but not others. The color is closer to what we call 20K (technically, 20,000K is more correct) lighting than the 10K-12K lighting that you've probably got with the 50/50 combo that you have now. The blue helps certain proteins in some coral pigments to glow, or "pop." Wave-point also makes a version that has 10,000K coloration (bright white), which tends to be more efficient in terms of penetration and coral growth, but with less "pop" in the colors.

In any case, you've got a few options with lighting that should work fine on a small tank like you have. Important aspects are to make sure that the distribution of the light is good across the length of the tank so that you can set corals across the width of the display and that the light is powerful enough to penetrate enough so that you can keep some corals that demand lower light down lower in the tank.

It is a 10G and I have an LED with white/ blue( Aqueon ) and an 18 inch Coralife 50/50 T8 floressant bulb. a Fan to move water and a protein skimmer with heater of course about 8 lb of live rock and 5 fish

Go to QR they have a new nano light in stock with 3watt LEDs installed great little light.