Maxspect Gyre experiences?

Reefer_Madness

I know it has been out for a few months and it looks like some WAMAS members bought one, but I don't see any product reviews.  What are your thoughts so far?  I switched to a new tank and the glass is thicker, so my MP10s are making a little more noise than normal.  I've been debating buying a Gyre in stead of new MP40s. 

What do you guys think about the new Gyre?

I have the 130. I love it. It does the work of two power heads. The best part is: it comes with a controller. It is also about half the price of the vortechs. There is zero noise.

I have the 150...

Check this out first:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/70824-broke-my-new-maxspect-gyre-already/?p=635947

Having said that, I will say that it moves a ton of water. With it mounted in a horizontal position on one end of a 6 ft 220gal it will move the sand a little at the opposite end of the tank, even with two big rock towers in the centerline of the tank. This seems like too much flow for some of the corals that are not sheltered. The fish love it. They swim against the current. I have 2 mp40s going too.

In pulse mode it doesn't stir the sand up the way it does in constant on mode. I had it set for a 30 second pulse and it makes lots of water move but doesn't seem to reach as far as when it is just running continuously. I don't the "gyre" effect happens in these conditions (pulse in a long tank).
I did try it in a vertical position pushing the water across the front of the tank. It was a heck of a lot of movement with no obstructions so I put it back in the horizontal mode. I might put it in a vertical position to blow across the back of the tank, behind the rock to see if that works better for the front of the tank. I still want to try some other positions. It might be better suited to being in the middle of the back glass in a back and forth mode. Sorry, I can't remember the mode names. More experimenting to come!

Edited by Rob A

I have the 130. I love it. It does the work of two power heads. The best part is: it comes with a controller. It is also about half the price of the vortechs. There is zero noise.

What size tank do you have again?

Do a forum search. There are a few reviews of the pumps. I have two gyres on a 240g (60x36) and they replaced 6x Tunze 6105's.

Thats pretty impressive. Id love to pull all my powerheads on my 300 and only need 2 of these

Im about to order the 130. I have been reading the main threads on r2r and I'm kind of hesitant at times since theres different types of issues being reported. I also understand any new product has its growing pains. As long as the vendors or Maxspect/CoralVue back it up I'm willing to try it. 

Edited by WilRams

What size tank do you have again?

65 gallon

The 130 zero will work for 25 gallon to 100 gallon.

Edited by Joshwaggs

My neighbor set it up in my 29 Biocube and if we set it up vertically we were able to turn the cube into a whirlpool, was pretty funny. Overall I'd stick to my MP10 for my cube. Wasn't thrilled with it other than the vortex creating potential 

Edited by Happyfeet

I have a xf150 on a 57 rimless. Absolutely love it, and highly recommend it.

There is a great article on Advnanced Aquaria about it. The author has some great tips on cleaning it as it definitely has to be cleaned every 3 months.

I would guess there is a reason why Vortechs suddenly dropped a hundred dollars in price. People are buying gyres like crazy. The 130 gyre costs 239 dollars. The Vortech (one vortech, which most people get more than one) costs 299 dollars. That's down from 395 dollars, last month.

The gyres just produce more flow at a cheaper price, and they come with a controller (not wireless). They make sense.

And it still has the same, crummy, unimproved conical flow pattern.

LOL Tony your crazy. Nothing replaces a Tunze but a Tunze years of reliability. IMHO

I bought a 150 (posted a video somewhere I think) for my shallow 80... It wasn't for me or the tank... I have a bunch of softies and gorgonians.. the flow was very strong in some places (too strong) in fact most places for my tank... it was also only in one direction... and while I know this had proven to be ok and even good for corals.. I just prefer the flow from both sides... I also didn't care for the limited modes, lack of night mode, also the build quality was a little suspect (I had one of the first run)...

I went back to mps as I have several times in the past.. can't seem to replace the reef crest flow style...

That said, if I had a larger tank or could afford to have one on each side of the tank, I would consider one again... they definitely move an insane amount of water...

I don't like how the controller only has on and off and has no reefcrest type flow.

I don't like how linear the flow pattern is for the first few feet. It does spread out but that's only nice in a longer tank.

I don't like how the reverse mode is half as powerful as the forward side, if that. (Maybe in am doing something wrong but I have played with it enough, I quit messing with it)

I don't like how it has to be directed just right on a smaller tank or else it sucks water into it like crazy.

In don't like how the only thing you can control is the speed and time it runs forward and backward.

Honestly I want to get some more vortechs, I like their conical flow pattern because it spreads the flow out much better than any other power head. I don't want a jet stream shooting across my tank I want full water movement. I am running the 150 in my 60 gallon and it took FOREVER to get into a place where I could use it at 100%...

LOL Tony your crazy. Nothing replaces a Tunze but a Tunze years of reliability. IMHO

I was referring to the post above about the Vortechs. I'm not a fan LOL. I don't care how quiet the new ones are because the flow can't compare to the Gyre. I do agree with you on the reliability of Tunzes though. I never had a lick of trouble out of mine. I can only hope the Gyre will be half as reliable. Time will tell!