Help with a Zoa ID

wildcrazyjoker81

Saw them as mint and fire ore something at brk, they look like Jurassic parks to me, but I have no idea, ask Ben! I have a big colony of them though!

Those are what I've got. Looks like the pic also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And there's the problem with zoanthid names...no one can keep them straight

Those were named ring of fire about 10 years ago by a friend, lost favor over time, and have come back with a new name which also refers to a different old-school zoanthid (white splash with or without a contrasting color mouth).

I think I remember buying them as ring of fire too.

I really dislike playing the Zoa name game when trying to sell them. People always want a name instead of do you like what they look like or not.

If a person is asking you about a particular coral, it generally implies that they like the look of it.  Besides, we do the exact same things with acros, montis, chalices, favias, even mushrooms now.  We see it in captive bred clowns and all the patterns available for them.  Flower hybridizers do the same thing, but with better organization

Scientific names FTW.

An extremely naive viewpoint when it comes to this hobby.  Not only are we terrible as a group at getting the scientific name correct to start with (assuming that the species we're looking at has even been described) but it also does absolutely nothing to alleviate the issue of trying to find specific color/pattern variations within a particular species, especially with zoanthids where, scientifically speaking, color and oral disc patterns are meaningless.

If a person is asking you about a particular coral, it generally implies that they like the look of it. Besides, we do the exact same things with acros, montis, chalices, favias, even mushrooms now. We see it in captive bred clowns and all the patterns available for them. Flower hybridizers do the same thing, but with better organization

An extremely naive viewpoint when it comes to this hobby. Not only are we terrible as a group at getting the scientific name correct to start with (assuming that the species we're looking at has even been described) but it also does absolutely nothing to alleviate the issue of trying to find specific color/pattern variations within a particular species, especially with zoanthids where, scientifically speaking, color and oral disc patterns are meaningless.

Yep. I've actually read at one stage that the names we come up with as hobbyists are easier and more consistent than scientific names with zoas, due to the morphs and hybrids. Dont know if it's true.

Yep. I've actually read at one stage that the names we come up with as hobbyists are easier and more consistent than scientific names with zoas, due to the morphs and hybrids. Dont know if it's true.

Hobbyist names are much more precise when they're done well (and a good deal of the time, they aren't).  If I said "Protopalythoa" you know what general polyp I'm talking about, but saying "Nuclear Green", "Purple Death", or "Captain America" gives you 3 very precise images of Protopalythoa - very different in color and pattern, but all the same species within the Protopalythoa genus.  Scolymia gives you a picture of a donut-shaped large polyp.  "Bleeding Heart" Scolymia means it's green with some red-orange stripes radiating from the center.  Of course, if the OP shows us the  picture in this thread, we give him two different names as an example of hobbyist naming not being done well.

Someone please correct me if what I have seen is inaccurate. if Vendor X renames an SPS and another vendor Y propagates the same coral and sells it under the same name, can't vendor Y get in trouble?

I think renaming corals that already have names is annoying. There used to be a chop shop vendor that did that all the time.

Someone please correct me if what I have seen is inaccurate. if Vendor X renames an SPS and another vendor Y propagates the same coral and sells it under the same name, can't vendor Y get in trouble?

If the name isn't registered as a trademark and vendor X doesn't mark it as a trademark, vendor Y won't get in trouble.  If it is trademarked (an issue which, to my knowledge, hasn't occurred in the hobby so far), then vendor Y can probably use the "functional use" exemption, though I'm not a lawyer, so...

The issue you've probably seen is when people create a coral name using an already trademarked name - "Jedi" in "Jedi Mind Trick" montipora for example, which could present some issues.