150g in the city

kjamaya

They don’t tell you how much $ you’ll spend eating out while having your place on the market. Sometimes breakfast, sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner, and sometimes lunch and dinner. The end result of course is worth it, but will I do it again, probably not.  Now that we’ve purchased a place in the City Of Fairfax my commute has been cut drastically. Use to be a daily routine of getting up 2.5 hours before work with kids and all to greet Mr. 66. Now, I have the option to walk to work while the Kids sleep in as abuela (best care ever) comes over.  

Now as there’s a sense of normalcy it’s time to build the tank. I purchased this tank and stand from another wamas member and I absolutely love this tank. The stand was excellently built and the tank itself, love the depth! This past weekend we scaped and added sand. Here are the results. 

Used egg crate to distribute the weight

20150202_183058_zps6ef9021b.jpg

FTS before sand

20150202_171931_zpseb9bf040.jpg

FTS after sand

20150202_203241_zps082f05a7.jpg

20150202_211230_zps58198045.jpg

20150202_211224_zps18fafa3f.jpg

20150202_211242_zps9bcff4b0.jpg

Right side

20150202_203255_zpsa13cb092.jpg

Left side

20150202_2032481_zps7870e8da.jpg

Looking good. Are those real brick siding? Where did you get them?

They're not real brick siding they're faux rocks that you get from Lowes. 

Looking Good!

Thanks!

I love that stand!

Me tooo!!!! This was one of the main reasons why I got it.

The rocks were from my previous tank that I dried out. I tried to power wash the rocks before putting them in but my outdoor faucet sprung a leak :(

Therefore, I used a bucket of warm water and a brush. There's still a few things in the pours of the rocks and the sand wasn't washed as well as I would of like but, I figure when I add water I'll stir the sand and blast the rocks hoping it filters out. I'm sure this will prolong my cycling but it's ok.

Has anyone done this and did it have any effect to your tank in the long run?

(edited)

Congratulations on cutting down the commute; I have to admit I am envious!  

I really like your rock work here, there is plenty of room for corals to grow.  

Thank you! I! I'm sure others have a longer trip but coming from Idaho traffic was timed and in Ithaca traffic was mellow. May be because of all that organic stuff the grew up there...

Looks like a great new start!

Thanks! I love the depth in these tanks

Here is another shot of the tank with more whites on.

20150203_205722_zps1a51b1e3.jpg

Edited by kjamaya

In total I have about 140lbs of crushed coral and 150lbs of dry rock. The 2 rocks on the left and right (in front of overflow) are bigger than a red bouncy ball we used to play kickball with. Each rock weighs about 30-40lbs. I'll seed the tank by adding a bag of live sand and sump gunk from a few local hobbyist. 

As of right now I'm making more water and plan on adding more support in the crawl space. 

Great new start! This is going to be an awesome build! Like many others have said...awesome scape! I know who to call when I'm ready to do mine. Tagging along.

Great new start! This is going to be an awesome build! Like many others have said...awesome scape! I know who to call when I'm ready to do mine. Tagging along.

Hahaha not unless you want to see me yelling and threatening a rocks life....

I really like the scape. What are your plans for the tank?

Near the end of the other tank I was getting into sps and chalices. I of course love zoas but do agree that they like dirtier water.

Really love the stand and 'scape. That shelf rock on the left is fantastic. Would love to see the sump and plumbing once everything's up and running. Great start!

Really love the stand and 'scape. That shelf rock on the left is fantastic. Would love to see the sump and plumbing once everything's up and running. Great start!

Thanks!

I'll be using a 40gl with a footprint of 48x12x16. It'll have 3 chambers housing a dc1200 return pump, ATI BM250, and Avast kalk stirrer. I'm debating whether my RO unit should be plumbed into the system or, if I should use a reservoir.

Use a reservoir. Are you using an ATO pump or gravity feed. I recommend Tunze solution that said if you have an APEX use it with float switches. Your tank appears to be an Oceanic ?