Wil's Rimless 100g Build

WilRams

Yeah that labor dispute on the west coast has delayed those Reefers.

I got it all figured out eventually after many headaches. I ditched all their plumbing except for the bulkheads. I ended up using 3 unions from flex pvc that convert from metric to standard. Its tight in there so to get them to fit I staggered the fittings and from there on out used standard stuff. It all worked out in the long run. I hope to get back to working on it soon. You could give them a call and see if its possible to get them to drill it standard to begin with. Not sure if they will or not but worth a shot.

The tank looks great and the build quality has been nice so far. I had an issue with a damaged door but they quickly sent a replacement. The most common issue with these is the company themselves. Customer service is not their forte. With that said so far I have been ok I found one point of contact and stuck with them through out the whole process. If you end up getting one ill help you figure out the part numbers you need and save you the trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiny update. Skimma!

D10D0A84-FEFC-426B-A2E6-9478B7977094_zps

I now have everything I need to finish this build. I just need to get off my lazy butt and get this thing going!

• 1 month later...

Nice rock scape! I follow a build that's phenomenal on r2r that looks similar, if it is heading in the same direction, which I'm sure it will, this should be phenomenal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! Didn't think it would take this long but it's coming along.

Aaaaand I'm changing something up already. When I first started this build I thought I wanted a mix reef and that the Radions would do fine. In the last 6 months I have decided that what I'm really interested in and want the most is to do an SPS dominant build. While there is success out there with LED's and other lighting options the tried and true method always seems to be MH. 

I had my concerns about MH at first. Heat and energy. With my tank being in my cool basement I don't feel like heat should be a concern. Energy well yeah guess ill just work a couple more hours a week haha. That said the Radions are out and the hunt begins.

To each their own, I wish you gave the radions a shot though, I think you would have been very happy. Any more photos?

Thanks for checking out my little corner. Nothing new to report.

Truth be told unless I can sell the Radions I won't be switching lights. If they sell Ill most likely go with a Giesemann MH/T5 fixture. However I am getting an ATI later this week for my frag tank. That will free up a Kessil that I could experiment with in addition to the Radions. So we'll see what happens! For now all my efforts are on my frag tank so that I can start growing out some stuff while the display takes it sweet time cycling and settling in. On the flip side it gives me too much time to think...

• 3 weeks later...

The Radions sold and I used the funds for my new light. It was suppose to take 3 weeks to get here but today I came home to a surprise!

6115E7E7-9563-477B-AB17-62B541EA7D65_zps

4FA26ACD-F8EB-4D0C-8E84-99286865BD04_zps

Now to go bulb shopping.

Heres the tank as is sits minus the radios or mounts.

D7CD829E-435B-40B0-AF02-4117CF979798_zps

For heavens sake. Take the plastic off before taking pictures. It's hard to take it all in when its wrapped in plastic :)

Thanks everyone! Im excited to get the fixture hung. No bulbs yet. I move at a snails pace. Plus I was not expecting the fixture to make its trek from Germany in a weeks time! Need to do some more research on what ballasts to run (or where to find the one I see being recommended). I know I am most likely going with 20k Radiums for bulbs but I would like to see a system running them in person before committing. For the T5's ill play around with them until I get the combination I like.

While I'm at it anyone have any input?

That ia Sooooooooooo sexy Wil. Ok since I am a G man as well try using the 14K for growth wit Fiji purple and 3 ATI Blue+ or Giesmann atinic plus.. I love 20K but 14K will grow corals faster.

• 2 months later...

I guess its time to update this. The most obvious thing I can think of that has changed is my lighting setup. I was not a fan of the Radions disco ball effect but more importantly the shadowing I was getting. So off they went and a white 48in Giesemann Spectra replaced it! 20k Radiums off of M80 ballast. The T5's are 2 Blue+ and 2 Coral +. I am a big fan of "sunrise sunset" for my own viewing pleasure. So I did mod it with a Kessil A360WE. The Kessils sole purpose is to ramp up and down from my main lights. Once those are on they cut out. In fact right now I am only running the Kessil as my 4 frags are all in the middle for now. I made some small changes to the sump as well. It now returns from the middle and drains to a fuge on the left and skimmer section on the right. Overall not happy with this sump design and something I will be changing in the next year I'm sure. Tank only has 4 frags in it. Taking it nice and easy. I am sure MACNA will change that. I have been working on my fish stocking list more than anything.

So far:

Snowflake Clown pair
Yellow Tang
McCoskers Wrasse
Royal Gramma
Sunburst Anthia (My favorite right now but extremely shy. Removed the yellow tang for now as it was the fish displaying the most and keeping it hidden. Once it was removed he at least comes out)

Only fish I am looking to add is a Bellus female and in a few months when I am comfortable with my pod population either a green mandarin or a bipartitus wrasse.

Ta-da!

67F6A1E4-C9F1-4D3E-BA7F-15EB168A4C72_zps

97A1EC80-B7BD-403E-8EFB-AAE66CDA53B6_zps

And some screen tops I made.

B1296397-FDE8-478F-B184-AD4375870547_zps

Tang shortly after ending up in jail. Surprisingly easy to bait with some seaweed. I was manually holding the lid open with the box sideways. He strolled in to pick at the seaweed and I helped close the door behind him.

7A1E2BCD-16FE-4DFD-8AC0-3803E4B55E6C_zps

Very cool, love the light and the mod. Tank will be awesome once you get some corals in there!

Thanks! Can't wait to start filling it. I decided I'm going to be very picky and only things I really want and like. There will be some hard choices to make since the downside of minimal rock is minimal space.

I was just scrolling back through R2R's book of faces and was surprised to see my tank!

A904EC52-9560-4EC5-9C74-5F038D806F46_zps

Roughly 90-100lbs I believe

Didn't seem like that...the piece on the right must be really big piece...where did you order the rock from? BRS?