Help identifying a coral

Reefer_Madness

Any ideas? I've had it for about 2 years and it grows like a weed considering how bulky it is. Originally I called it a cats paw birds nest.

5ba9b97a99ef73113c2ece4f33460310.jpg

Any ideas on what the real name is? It's doing very well. iPhone pics of coral suck, but that's all I got. I spent all of my "camera money" on my tank!!

Edited by Reefer_Madness

(edited)

It was only a couple of inches when I got it with spaces between the branches, but now it is filling tight and has grown to about 5" diameter. It has also grown into the live rock and up to my green monti with no issues. They seem to be getting along well.

Edited by Reefer_Madness

It looks more like Stylophora which is in the Pocilloporidae family. Genus Pocillopora has larger numbers of small, bump- or wart-like features on the branches while Stylophora has a smoother look. 

Thanks.  The iPhone picture doesn't really do him justice.  He's getting too big and healthy actually.  I'm going to need to figure out how to frag him a little. It would be a good chance to spread the wealth with SWAP if I can figure it out...

Easy to frag: Take a pair of bone cutters or wire cutters and just snip off a piece.

Easier, but perhaps less precise and elegant, is to take a small tack hammer and give it a well placed tap. (For some corals, you can use a screwdriver to help direct the force.)