Adding GFO & Carbon reactors

WheresTheReef

Will be picking up 2 reactors this weekend and need some advice in adding them to the system. I plan to run GFO in one reactor and carbon in the other. I have a 40g breeder + 20g sump at the moment. I need to go ahead and order some media (and possibly a pump) so would appreciate advice in setting this up. I currently use about 2 cups of marineland activated carbon in a media bag and switch it out around every 2 weeks.

1) Which media (GFO & carbon) works well in the reactors?

2) How much of each media would you start with and increase to over time?

3) What is a good media change out schedule? I don't have a phosphate test at the moment.

4) Do the reactors need to be at the height of the sump or can they be below the sump's water level?

5) Where would you tie in the reactors input (e.g. from main pump or separate pump) and output (e.g. return pump section or other)?

6) Currently growing macro in a 5g refugium, but thinking about starting a 10g remote refugium. Once I tie the reactor in would you trash the refugium instead?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

I use BRS GFO and  ROX 0.8 carbon

I use the BRS calculator for the amount I use and it has been accurate for my system. Monitor your system and add or remove according to what your tank needs.

3) What is a good media change out schedule? I don't have a phosphate test at the moment.

You should get a phosphate test kit to track levels. I change out both GFO and carbon every 4 weeks.

4) Do the reactors need to be at the height of the sump or can they be below the sump's water level?

Depending on your type of reactor it shouldn't matter.

5) Where would you tie in the reactors input (e.g. from main pump or separate pump) and output (e.g. return pump section or other)?

my reactors are on their own separate pump, this allows you to adjust  the outputs of each reactor without effecting other equipment. The outputs dump back into the sump return pump area.

6) Currently growing macro in a 5g refugium, but thinking about starting a 10g remote refugium. Once I tie the reactor in would you trash the refugium instead?

A refugium adds bio diversity to the tank so I would keep it.

I use BRS GFO and  ROX 0.8 carbon

I use the BRS calculator for the amount I use and it has been accurate for my system. Monitor your system and add or remove according to what your tank needs.

You should get a phosphate test kit to track levels. I change out both GFO and carbon every 4 weeks.

Depending on your type of reactor it shouldn't matter.

my reactors are on their own separate pump, this allows you to adjust  the outputs of each reactor without effecting other equipment. The outputs dump back into the sump return pump area.

A refugium adds bio diversity to the tank so I would keep it.

+1.  I just added my carbon and BRS GFO on sunday.  I do water change every 2 weeks. I connected carbon and gfo reactor to small hydor pumps (300gph). I do have refugium to grow pods.

I use Rox and Rowaphos. I'm lazy and change them both about once a month at the same time even though I know one of them is spent much quicker than the other.

Use Deep Blue pads and phosphates stay at zero.

Using Deep Blue Pads first time this month. All seems well. 

Using Deep Blue Pads first time this month. All seems well. 

Rinse them well or you will get a bunch of blue, plastic particles floating around your tank.

(edited)

Thanks everyone.

BRS website has a calculator for amounts. Carbon monthly, gfo can go a little longer. Are you having phosphate problems?

I no longer use any media. It's a giant pita imo.

I am still in the research phase of this. I don't have a tester so don't know for sure if it's phosphates/nitrates giving me some minor algae problems. Was thinking about getting either a phosphate or phosphorus hanna checker. Many people online prefer the phosphorus since (once converted to phosphates) it supposedly provides a higher resolution at lower levels that we have/want in our tanks. I tested my nitrates with an api test kit, but know that it may always read 0ppm if some algae is present.

I already run carbon in a media bag, but don't think it is very effective so I plan to move it into a reactor.

I think one of my problems is that I overfeed a little. I plan on cutting back a little on the feeding and see how the tank fares.

Lots to think about. Still a learning process for me.

Edited by WheresTheReef

why are you running GFO?

Not currently running any. I plan to test my phosphate levels to see if it's issue. Need to buy a tester first though. Just doing homework right now to see what/how people run their media in reactors.

Make sure you start very small amounts of gfo if you have phosphstes. Saliferts has a good lower range drop test kit. If you stip. The phosphates out to quick bad things happen.

I use a media bag to run carbon, i used to regenerat my gfo and use a reactor but got tired of cleaning it out and changing media. Rowaphos was the best gfo i used. Rox .08 carbon is my favorite carbon. Be careful with the rox in a reactor for the first time as well or stuff will bleach with too much carbon.