Quang's Nuvo 24

quang

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm embarrassed to say I am a pure Vietnamese banana.  (If you don't get it, don't ask.)  But seriously, great looking tank!

Got to keep your heritage! that is what makes everyone unique! 

LOL thanks and awesome Vietnamese guys!  I think I packed as much live rock as i could into this tank... you should see me try to clean algae off the glass with a Mr Clean Eraser... 

I think you were fairly restraint when you installed the rock. It is not just packed in there and has open space, not too tall, and not all the same height.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I dont know why, but gluing coral to rock is so satisfying

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Random off-topic:

So.. two and a half weeks ago i impulse-bought a tank after seeing Ne0eN's 8g and totally forgot about it.. fedex delivered it today, and I seriously have no idea what to do with it

Cadlights 4g pico, low-iron glass, looks to be well made, but still on the economical side, the light it came with is a bit flimsy. Thinking about doing a bunch of cool shrimp like the pederson shrimp and glass/spot anemone shrimp.  For now it will sit on my desk, empty, but i'm sure that wont last long since it is right in front of my workspace.

cadlights-4g-01.jpg

cadlights-4g-02.jpg

Liking the scape in the 24. I'm with you, glueing coral to rock is satisfying. Like planting a sapling it feels good knowing you will watch it grow. 

For the 4 gallon, I can recommend the Pederson's anemone shrimp. I just got mine from KP Aquatics and it's healthy and quirky so far. A forest of gorgs could be cool. With fungia interspersed on the floor. Minimal rock scaping in the back with three eviota gobies darting around... blank canvases are the best!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the purpose of the glass tank is to keep the water in it.......I think you can take it out of the bottle, really it is safe. :tongue:

I am going with mantis shrimp as a suggestion, and maybe a nem after it has been stable for a while.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the purpose of the glass tank is to keep the water in it.......I think you can take it out of the bottle, really it is safe. :tongue:

I am going with mantis shrimp as a suggestion, and maybe a nem after it has been stable for a while.

I would say it's too small for a mantis. JMO.

I would say it's too small for a mantis. JMO.

I have never had one, but I know you have (RIP). IYO what would the minimum tank size be?

I have never had one, but I know you have (RIP). IYO what would the minimum tank size be?

I would say it depends on what type of mantis. I think 20 long minimum, but more experienced than me say 40 breeder for peacocks.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

any updates on this tank?

i've been working on a few unexpected things that had to take priority over the tank so i've been abusing my tank and forgot about it.

i think i let it ride out for 7 months now, barely cleaned the glass that it was hard to see through and only adding distilled water for auto top off.. i also fed the fish about once a week with pellets just to get by 

i did an 1/3 water change yesterday and cleaned the glass and also broke down all the equipment and cleaned it. i only put the skimmer and filter floss back in just to see how it was doing. 

so none of the corals really grew except the trumpets, everything else stayed the same. some polyps disappeared and a few new ones showed up depending on which zoa, lots of them moved around on their plugs. a small colony of i think feather dusters showed up out of no where on one of the plugs.  i literally have a bacteria film on the rocks but it isn't too bad. i also have one huge bubble algae that i tried to pop but couldn't get it to crack. tank is in better shape than i thought it would have been though. i will be starting to take better care of it again now and hopefully it will come back to life. gonna do a few more water changes to get rid of the gunk that's built up for the last 7 months

the lights are going into nighttime mode but i just turned them up to take some photos.. here's how it looks as of now:

post-2635154-0-24348400-1436758883.jpg

post-2635154-0-24348400-1436758883_thumb.jpg

post-2635154-0-32591900-1436758884_thumb.jpg

post-2635154-0-68277100-1436758884_thumb.jpg

post-2635154-0-01957900-1436758885_thumb.jpg

post-2635154-0-45734100-1436758885_thumb.jpg

post-2635154-0-89002600-1436758885_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey it looks pretty good for being ignored...

Life happens and just getting back on track will hopefully make everything happier :)

looks good!

thank you both for keeping me motivated!

Only feeding once a week?

yes, once or twice a week... i only have 4 fish, 1 of them being an algae eating blenney so i don't feed too much

so anyways, i can't go into too much detail but long story short---i'm on a nuvo fusion 30 now. i don't like it as much as my nuvo24 but... whatever it is what it is and i guess its sort of an upgrade.

on a positive note, my sand has never been cleaner, and i upgraded to two cobalt mj1200's during the process and the corals are loving the flow it seems.

rando pictures:

fusion-01.jpg

post-2635154-0-97283300-1438733878_thumb.jpg

post-2635154-0-97995000-1438733879_thumb.jpg

post-2635154-0-09715900-1438733881_thumb.jpg

post-2635154-0-20894400-1438733882_thumb.jpg

I like it a lot. What don't you like about the new one that you like about the old one?

I like it a lot. What don't you like about the new one that you like about the old one?

thanks man. i'm actually starting to like it more now that i've gotten used to it a bit.

i like that both the front display area and the sump has increased in width so its not so cramped when you reach into the front or back..

what i don't like about the tank is the way the overflows and baffles in the back are designed. i'm wondering if they tested this tank before going into production

• the water level in the display tank area is really low due to low placement of the overflow grates. i'd say i have 1.5+ inches of empty space at the top even though i have already upgraded to stronger pumps that are gushing water into the display and forcing the water level up. 

• with this tank its impossible to eliminate the water splashing noise.. the return jets are placed too high, and overflows too low, which forces the water surface to be turbulent and causes this constant splashing noise. when you aim the jets downwards, it causes the water to slurp, when you aim them strait forward, it splashes the surface. absolutely nothing i can do to silence it. this is the biggest issue i have with it.. the nuvo24 i had ran completely silent

• the baffles in the back are not tall enough (less water capacity) and spaced incorrectly (so nothing will fit). the way the baffles are sectioned, it is impossible to fit a skimmer.. the "constant water level/refugium sections" are tiny. but the "return pump section" is extra spacious...  i cannot understand why. my tunze 9001 no longer fit, pretty much nothing fits in this area except IM parts.. 

i'm making the best of it though, i'm using an Aquamaxx WS-1 skimmer in the return pump area and using an ATO to keep the water level constant in that section.

(edited)

Nice. So why did you change the skimmer from tunze 9002 to aquamaxx-ws1? do you see any different in skimmate

its still breaking in so i can't compare yet. its been running for 6 days and so far it is skimming tea color with bits and pieces of solids mixed in and you can see a powdery grey/tan mulk at the bottom of the collection cup. its making a lot of micro bubbles but i think thats mostly because i have it in the return pump section

i like the high quality build on the body and the pump is stronger with a needle wheel. i will keep you updated on how it performs

Edited by quang