Smaller all in one tanks

jsbower

after 10 years out we are looking to get back into the hobby.  thinking of a smaller 29-45 gallon all in one.  I would like opinions of the best and /or worst all in one tank!  we have looked at the JBJ and  the Red Sea?

Depends on the price range, I have had a couple of bio cubes, which are super easy to keep, but limited on space, I know Innovative marine do larger all in ones, but are really expensive, I am in the process of getting out of the hobby myself, but when I start back up I am looking into  the Deep blue 30 gal shallow reef tank, it's not really an all in one but I have seen some great looking setups with these tanks

I have the nuvo 30 with their skimmer and reactor and have to say although pricey it's by far better then the other Nanos I had. Hands down.

I have a Nuvo 16 and like it, though the back area is narrow and hard to access if need be. There is a good Cadlights sale right now on some minis with all inclusive starphire systems and those are nice tanks - they have a nano as well I think. Also, SCA aquariums has some plug n plays that are nice. I like my old Solana too.

I got the jbj28. the older model and just removed the lid and mounted my own LEDs on top. Works just great! Not really rimless technically because it has the black border all around but without the top and different lighting I think it looks great. its all preference to you, if you can see the tanks in person go and look at them and see if you like the dimensions because sometimes the dimensions listed include the back filtration part so you gotta take into account for that sometimes.

Edited by tchun

Had a biocue 29. I am done with all-in-1s. The back compartments are too hard to keep clean. They tend to become a big detritus trap. Getting in there with a vacuum to clean them out is a pain

I like the IM's , have a IM 16g and love it. Not very big, works well with a few mods.

Edited by DuffyGeos

It depends if you want the open top or not, depending on your needs a screen on the IM will keep fish from jumping, but may not keep kids from dumping things in real easy. In my opinion, the Red Sea Max is the best AIO with a hood. It's just built better than the others. If you can pick one up used, you might find a bargain that has all of the typical mods and aftermarket parts.

Check out Cadlights and SC Aquariums. SCA has an AIO nano (25g I think) for very cheap, and larger "plug-and-play" systems that come with sumps, pumps, plumbing, etc.

If you go with IM, make sure you get the new Fusion line, or at least do some research before getting the Nuvo line, certain Nuvo models are prone towards spontaneously cracking.