Lionfish derbys have a positive impact on reefs

AlanM

One thing they need to do is to remove the required permits that are needed to hunt them in many of the island nations of the Caribbean. Every dive trip should offer an optional pole spear to kill as many lionfish as possible. Just kill them and leave them. That is the only way to start reducing the population.

Pole spears are about $25 and will only go a couple feet vs. a spear gun which would end up killing many divers, by the way I see some dive boats run.

spgun23.jpg

Pole spears are about $25 and will only go a couple feet vs. a spear gun which would end up killing many divers, by the way I see some dive boats run.

Well, either way it seems like the fish would be well fed.  

I agree that many dive boats are run on baling wire and bubble gum.  I've been stranded at sea a couple of times while a new boat came out to tow the broken one back to the dock.  Maybe I shouldn't always choose the cheapest dive trips!

One thing they need to do is to remove the required permits that are needed to hunt them in many of the island nations of the Caribbean. Every dive trip should offer an optional pole spear to kill as many lionfish as possible. Just kill them and leave them. That is the only way to start reducing the population.

spgun23.jpg

Agree.  Even Austrailia, which is probably one of the most heavily regulated dive juristictions allowed this for the invasive Crown of Thorns Starfish.

For the divers in this group that want to do participate in local eradication,  would suggest getting an non-barbed paralyzer tip on the spear instead.  Once you stab the fish, you can just swipe it against something to pull it off.  No risk getting stung but a squirming lionfish...

MAS-6440.jpg

Agree.  Even Austrailia, which is probably one of the most heavily regulated dive juristictions allowed this for the invasive Crown of Thorns Starfish.

For the divers in this group that want to do participate in local eradication,  would suggest getting an non-barbed paralyzer tip on the spear instead.  Once you stab the fish, you can just swipe it against something to pull it off.  No risk getting stung but a squirming lionfish...

MAS-6440.jpg

Actually the tip you show is correct and the one I have used. I just couldn't find a picture quickly. A 1' long dive knife helps keep you away from the business end of the lionfish.