I need help don't understand

morgan175

I have sps corals that are turning white from bottom up. I believe it is stl if that is not right please correct me. I can't find how to treat with the search. Can someone give me an idea what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it birdsnest?

I have found that they are pretty sensitive but will recover quickly, it probably needs more light or maybe something is touching it.

a little more info would be helpful

Nothing touching it. This is the third coral it has affected. The first was a beautiful piece from ERC. I don't know the name. It just slowly turned white. I have a birds nest that is turning white now from base up. And a small acro that is turning white.

The piece I got from ERC I cut and the small pieces do not seem to be affected yet.

Should I use a dip of some sort. Everything is at the top half of tank under 150 halides.

when I have coral issues the first thing I do is a good size water change.    How much flow do you have in the tank and what size and lights do you use

Current orbit 2 150 halides 2 96 watt power compacts I believe. I have 2 korolla 1500 in the tank which is a 110. High.

Mag 1360

Alk 9

Cal 420

Nitrates .10

Not much help but I have similar problem. I recalled a thread here with similar problem. But no one seem to know. I lost a whole bn colony within 2 days. Then few month ago, almost wiped out a mini stag colony that I grow from a frag. Another sps was dying from the base but slowly. Today, I just notice my pink tabling colony has 3 branches totally whiteout. Everything else are unaffected!

Best way is to cut out a few really healthy frags and hope it does not continue to RTN. Good luck

Edited by flooddc

although I dont believe there is such a thing as too much light for SPS, I know it is possible to bleach them out from experience, i'm not 100% but I believe they were probably kept under LED or T5's at ERC, havent been there for a couple of weeks so may be wrong, I know I bleached out some monti caps under LED by cranking it up to 11 too fast 

By the Hanna 0. I have no other way of checking. I have Chaeto and two little fish gfo running. I put a 1/4 cup in a brs two stage every month I change.

(edited)

7f3b7861bd567431fdc2924629747308.jpg621a7b3038b16261e7da9e43c38c0db2.jpg9f38080f146b72cbc9bdd8abfdc657c2.jpg

First is birdsnest

2 is from ERC was beautiful now white. Was green and yellow

3 a small tricolor now mostly white.

Don't laugh at pictures. Thank I phone

post-2634723-140900847397_thumb.jpg

post-2634723-140900849902_thumb.jpg

post-2634723-140900850903_thumb.jpg

Edited by morgan175

what little I do know about SPS is that by the time you realize something is wrong it is often too late, I remember another member having this issue when he changes the % on his LED's it took a week+ before he realized the coral was bleaching out and dying, I had the same issue with my Monti caps, They just have to be gradually introduced to light changes, from what I see your params seen good.

Your params look good, I can't tell from the pic's but if you can still see polyps they will recover, they are just bleached, if the skin and polyps are gone, then its STN, slow tissue necrosis.

Edited by surf&turf

I had an amazing colony of an acro that got STN. Tried to frag before I lost it and even those frags died as well. From what I have read it can just happen and more often in wild caught frags.

I had an amazing colony of an acro that got STN. Tried to frag before I lost it and even those frags died as well. From what I have read it can just happen and more often in wild caught frags.

Have you heard of it spreading

I have hammer frogspawn blasto ricordea other bird nests and many montipora.

One thing I have lost color in other acros. The blue faded and the purple.

One other thing my red dragon is not so red. Looks more like pail dragon. I was figuring this was due to lighting and just bought 250 halides. Have not added them yet.

People talk about nutrients in there tank. How can you know you have nutrients in your tank. I use seachem to add alkalinity and calcium. I also use aquavitro salt. Can this add to the problem.

I went back and looked at your build thread, your system is a 110 correct?  What fish do you have in the system?