Help me with my nano shopping list

MrSexyShrimp

I had this post written and then I accidentally hit "delete" and went back a page and lost everything. :: flames on the side of my face ::

Here's my intro thread, I just bought a Solana 34g AIO from a fellow WAMASer this weekend. We met at Quantum Reefs, so I got to meet Steve the co-owner as well, and we had a nice chat about gear. And I picked up a frag kit for 50% off, because how could I not?

Help me with my shopping list?

Planned tank is LPS heavy (duncans, torch, acans, elegance), with possibly rock flower and/or maxi mini nems in fun colors. Maybe 1-2 SPS just to see what all the fuss is about. (I dunno, they look like sticks to me.) A gaggle of sexy shrimp and at least 1 pompom crab. Maybe a yellow clown goby. Definitely don't want a heavy fish bio-load.

I want to get quality equipment. This Solana nano is the perfect size to get started, and I'll see where I am in 2015. It wouldn't shock me if I go a little bigger, but I can't go much bigger ( < 3 feet long) due to size limitations. Would be nice if I could re-use equipment for my theoretical future system.

Need to decide about the EcoTech stuff quickly, because their sale ends very soon.

Shopping list possibilities

Dry rock

• BRS pukani
  • Marco rocks
  • I don't really have the space/patience to cook something for 3-6 months to leach out phosphates. But store bought live rock carries the risk of hitchhikers. Dilemma.

Starboard

• I want to go barebottom or make fand. The bottom of the Solana isn't a perfect square though, due to the trapezoidal false wall. Not sure if the little wedges on the sides of the false wall need to be protected by starboard. This would mean something custom, I guess.

RODI

• Talking to someone about buying used. But need to add a chloramine upgrade package, because D.C. uses chloramine. Womp womp.

Powerheads

• MP10 on sale until end of August. Probably not the wireless version?
  • Steve and I discussed possibly an MP40 in case I wanted to go bigger down the line, but I think it might be overkill for the nano. He mentioned there are programs to turn down the flow, though.

Light

• Ecotech radion xr15w on sale until end of August. Would need $90 arm to clip on side of tank.
  • Nano-box duo... surprisingly the same price as the xr15w at full price. Very attractive and minimalist though. Comes with hanging kit.

Controller

• Apex seems to be the one to beat? This isn't something I feel the need to get right away.
  • The EcoTech Reeflink has some terrible reviews... Not sure it's worth the money even at 50% off.

ATO

• ??? This is uncharted territory for me.

Skimmer

• I might be able to get by without one? The chambers in the back are pretty limiting. And nano skimmers seem to get mixed reviews.

Misc.

• Test kits
  • Refractometer
  • Heater
  • Buckets
  • Vacuum siphon
  • Screen top to keep curious parrots from drowning

Cleanup

• Chaetomorpha refugium in back chamber
  • Light for chaeto
  • Reefcleaners.org snail package
  • No hermits, no emeralds

What else?

Edited by MrSexyShrimp

If you're getting lights and pumps with decent on board controls you can skip the apex ( for now )'but honestly the two things you're sleeping on "needing" are the apex and ato.

It's an expensive set up, but really the only way to go.

Just get dry rock that looks cool and be done with it. You're cycling for 60-90 days regardless, just rinse super well. I wouldn't be that concerned wht phosphate leaching.

There's always a hot deal on rodi here. There's a sweet set up with a booster pump you should jump on now. This is an absolute necessity.

And don't put an MP-40 on a 30 gallon. Go with MP-10, you can always sell it and buy up.

The Tunze 9002 modded has historically been the go-to skimmer for the Solana 34. I like Solana but need to deal with the noise sometime.

The Tunze 9002 modded has historically been the go-to skimmer for the Solana 34. I like Solana but need to deal with the noise sometime.

Uh oh that's kind of a problem. This tank is three feet from my bed.

Uh oh that's kind of a problem. This tank is three feet from my bed.

There is a siliencer mod that can be done easy. In addition you could also place the skimmer on a timer once broken in to skim during the day. That said the best skimming is during lights out for me. No big deal since you are going LPS. Just my .02

What about this: Tunze Comline 9001

It's a newer model than the 9002, has some good reviews I found via Google search. It's a bit smaller and comes with a silencer. It will fit in the first chamber if I move the magnet. And it's on sale! Not all that much more money to buy it new than buying a used 9002 and modding it. Especially if I were to buy the Tunze 9002 upgraded $30 collection cup, which of course I would.

If you're getting lights and pumps with decent on board controls you can skip the apex ( for now )'but honestly the two things you're sleeping on "needing" are the apex and ato.

It's an expensive set up, but really the only way to go.

Just get dry rock that looks cool and be done with it. You're cycling for 60-90 days regardless, just rinse super well. I wouldn't be that concerned wht phosphate leaching.

There's always a hot deal on rodi here. There's a sweet set up with a booster pump you should jump on now. This is an absolute necessity.

Sorry--- are you saying I should just go ahead and get the Apex and ato now?

BRS pukani for dry rock, you think?

(edited)

Just ordered 30lb dry rock package from Reefcleaners. Emailed a question and the owner replied within minutes. Unreal!

Anyway, his was the only dry rock I could find that specifically mentions it has been pre-cured to eliminate phosphates, and it was a good price and comes with free shipping.

It has been professionally cleaned and dried after a long soak in a deep water well to prevent leaching of phosphates. This rock is free of organics except the dust that may settle on it during transport.

I would actually pay a premium for pre-cured dry rock, so that fact that this is cheaper than BRS or MarcoRocks is just icing on the cake.

(p.s. It's really hard to do a forum search on "marco rocks" because apparently we have a member named "Marco" and people are often saying how he "rocks" or at least very often is discussed alongside "rock." Good for him, but aaargh frustrating for me!)

Edited by MrSexyShrimp

You don't have to have an apex now. It would be a cool toy, but what would you control with it? Ask yourself that question first. I have an AC3 (prior controller line from Neptune) and have three lights on it with different timers, 2 BRS dosers, a couple powerheads, and my heater. I could have gotten by without it....but it centralizes timer control.... and can help with heater safety. I really like having it, but got it used and on the cheap since older model. I also could have gotten by without it.

Avast has a nice ATO, especially if you want to hook it up to a Neptune controller. I've used a double switch from autotopoff.com for a couple years and it works like a charm...and won't break the bank. A lot of people swear by tunze too, but more money.

get the nanobox

radion is lesser quality

Have you ever had/used radions to make that assessment?

Have you ever had/used radions to make that assessment?

Yup. I don't know much about LED's but the experts pick nanobox every time.

Does the radion even use lime led's?

I don't know about lime LEDs, but my short time with the g3 pros left me impressed. I've not had experience with nano box, so unlike yourself, I've only tried 1 of 2.

I don't know about lime LEDs, but my short time with the g3 pros left me impressed. I've not had experience with nano box, so unlike yourself, I've only tried 1 of 2.

You should go ATI T5 fixture with NanoBox LED's on your next build when you move :)

looks like it. dunno if that's a sufficient amount tho

efAVcSV.jpg

i mean how much is a hint, really?

Here are my reasons for nanobox

1. you can customize the unit anyway you want
  2. support small business
  3. Much better color
  4. Dave is awesome

I'm on nanoreef constantly and I can't really remember the last time I've seen a new build with radions.

Here are my reasons for nanobox

1. you can customize the unit anyway you want
  2. support small business
  3. Much better color
  4. Dave is awesome

I'm on nanoreef constantly and I can't really remember the last time I've seen a new build with radions.

I did some Googling, hard to find direct comparisons besides anecdotal.. I would love to see side by side shots of the same tank under Radion vs Nano Box. 

Also I looked on his website, I didn't see any mention of the word lime... I did Google it, saw some forum results, but it would be nice if all the info was in one place. 

I've actually already emailed Dave (to ask about which model to get and ask about dimensions of the light, which I couldn't find on the website), and he responded in under 24 hours. I do appreciate that level of customer service.

I did some Googling, hard to find direct comparisons besides anecdotal.. I would love to see side by side shots of the same tank under Radion vs Nano Box. 

Also I looked on his website, I didn't see any mention of the word lime... I did Google it, saw some forum results, but it would be nice if all the info was in one place. 

I've actually already emailed Dave (to ask about which model to get and ask about dimensions of the light, which I couldn't find on the website), and he responded in under 24 hours. I do appreciate that level of customer service.

He uses lime in all the new builds. He doesn't do a great job of keeping his website up to date, it is almost done being redone, you have to check his section on nano-reef for the most up to date info.

Edited by brad908

He uses lime in all the new builds. He doesn't do a great job of keeping his website up to date, it is almost done being redone, you have to check his section on nano-reef for the most up to date info.

He did mention he's got a new website coming after I pointed out a Javascript error I saw in the console.. also the lazy load image plugin doesn't seem to be firing... </nerd>

Want to get some starboard / cutting board to protect the glass. Going barebottom for ease of cleaning.

It seems like a lot of people are happy with "The Cutting Board Company" http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/

Was planning on half-inch thickness. Open to color suggestions although most people say it'll get covered in coralline algae eventually anyway.

How much of a margin should I leave between the sides of the tank and the cutting board? I've seen 1" mentioned but since I have so little footprint for coral placement to begin with, I'm wondering if I could go with smaller margins.