Drilling holes to stock rock with acrylic rods...

Brian's Aquarium Care

I have seen a bunch of people use acrylic rods to stack rocks in ways they otherwise wouldn't be stable. I was told by a couple people to just use a wood drill bit but that didn't work. I then ordered a masonry/stone/tile bit which was better but doesn't seem to work as well as I would have thought. Do I just have harder than usual rock or is there a better bit people have used?

I have seen a bunch of people use acrylic rods to stack rocks in ways they otherwise wouldn't be stable. I was told by a couple people to just use a wood drill bit but that didn't work. I then ordered a masonry/stone/tile bit which was better but doesn't seem to work as well as I would have thought. Do I just have harder than usual rock or is there a better bit people have used?

Is the bit a carbide tipped bit?  The type of drill you are using will also matter. What are you using?

Yes, the second bit I tried is carbide tipped. It is just a standard Dewalt power drill.

Is the bit new, or just something you found in a tool box. You are basically drilling through limestone, so if it is not sharp it may take awhile. The smaller battery powered drills may not have enough torque to get through it.

if your rock has been soaking it should be soft enough to use a masonary bit with a regular drill vs a hammer drill.  if the rock is dry then a hammer drill would be needed.

I have done this with the majority of my personal systems.  It removes the urge to play with the rocks and gives you piece of mind that everything wont fall over.   It takes a lot of time up front, but as long as you take your time and get it right the first time, you will never have to re-aquascape the tank.  

Steve hit the nail on the head for drilling the rock though.... Start small and move up.  Also TAKE  YOUR TIME.  Keep the drill bit wet and just work through the rock slowly.  Work too fast and the rock will break.  Just regular masonry drill bits is what I have used.

For my current tank I used a PVC base and a fiberglass rod so that I could keep the hole thinner through Marco Rocks.

null_zpsad13af78.jpg
null_zps5b570f84.jpg
null_zps66bc4d34.jpg
DSC01963.jpg
100_2958.jpgDSC_0200.jpg

Neither of these are anything crazy, but you can find much crazier online.  Personally I don't like the intense Bonsai structures that people build.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Dang, this is exactly my plan for my 20g. Thanks for the pics! Good work!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk