duster coming out of favia's mouth?

Rachell3210

I got a frag of what i think is a favia of some sort at the FF. I did a dip with the bayer pest spray as directed on here.  While making my nightly rounds, i was checking out the new frags for anything that may be lurking and i noticed what seamed like some sort feathery feeler coming straight out of the mouth. It was pulsing in and out every second, and the mouth would open and close as it came in and out. I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything, besides that some feathers do grow on brain corals, but there is no tube and it was more claw shaped than a round shape like the feathers i have seen, and it is directly on/in the mouth. No tentacle like feeders like there should be, but its looking rough still after being fragged.  Any ideas, as i dont think this is normal, but ive never had favia before. I will try to take pics/video tomorrow night.TIA

do they host inside the actual mouth? is it going to harm the favia, which like i said is already weakend from being handled, fragged, dipped, etc.

Sounds like there's a barnacle in the piece you have. Not harmful, just a filter feeder. A picture or short clip would help determine what it is.

+1

I had that barnacle from a frag from last year's FF.  It is still alive, really cool.