Need something to seed new tank

dangros

Hi Everyone,

I just started curing my live rock (reefsaver and brs pukani) in a bin w/my ev-180 in it.  The setup is pretty cool but I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me seed my tank w/sand or small amts of live rock. I'm looking for someone who has a 90 or larger and has been quite successful w/their ivestock.  I'm currently building my stand and a 40g breeder as a refugium.  The display is  a new 90g

Dan

Dan where are you located?

I'm sure someone here (possibly myself) will be able to hook you up. I'm in Frederick, MD which is probably not convenient. depending on your timeframe i'm in the process of upgrading ( everyone stop laughing I really am starting today) to a 125 from a 90 and going BB so I will have all the Live sand you need and I'm sure I can spare some LR too.

Marine scene in Herndon has live sand that they bring up from Florida frequently. I used it to seed some life into my sandbed.

Join the club.

Best $20 bucks you will spend 

Plus, you would have learned about our MEMEBRS ONLY FFE today in McLean

yeah, your welcome to all of mine for free 40-50lbs but you'll probably spend close to $20 in gas + you'll have to wait a week or so to come get it. I've heard great things about Marine Scene, although never made it out there myself, I went once on a Sunday and they were closed FYI, today's probably not the day to take a trip.

Marine scene in Herndon has live sand that they bring up from Florida frequently. I used it to seed some life into my sandbed.

+1

And, join the club. You won't regret it. There's a huge amount that goes on here that's not visible to non-members.

I appreciate the offers and the quick responses guys.  You convinced me to join - just signed up and paid the dues.  Off to marine scene now.  It's about 15 min away.  Will post pics later.

LOL YEP, they were closed so I went to Incredible Corals in Manassas.  Luckily I had to go in that direction anyhow.

I picked up a few rocks and dumped them in.  I think one of them has aptasia, however.  I've attached pics of the setup and of the critter in question.

post-2635169-0-90321600-1405356329_thumb.jpg

post-2635169-0-52352900-1405356332_thumb.jpg

post-2635169-0-69716200-1405356333_thumb.jpg

post-2635169-0-23387100-1405356423_thumb.jpg

Yep, looks like Aiptasia to me.  Not that big of a deal, but it seems like now would be a good time to try to get rid of it rather than hoping it will go away in your tank (it won't). 

(edited)

I had a small case of it years ago and successfully removed it with aiptasia-X.  I still have some of it and just applied it.  In the instructions, it says to turn off all the water flow (pumps, etc).  As I did, and came back down, I noticed a few more hanging out on a few of the rocks I got yesterday  (GRRRR!)

The X seems to have at least temporarily knocked em out but 

1) I dont know if I got them all

2) the stuff is still effective after a few years + 1 year in a garage

Should I remove the rock that I got yesterday and cook it?  I can scrape off some coraline and just let my current rock cycle over the next few weeks on it's own.  Besides, I've already introduced some of the new bacteria.

Edited by dangros

• 3 weeks later...

So today, I'm going to start on my sump/refugium.  It's a 40g breeder.  I think I'm going to go with rocketengineer's design on this one too.  I still have to plan it out w/the plumbing and exact location of baffles.  I went to HD and picked up some 24x18 sheets of glass for the baffles.  They are really thin but as glass I'm hoping they will be strong enough for a sump.  I've already cut a few pieces and sanded the edges.  Who would of thought that sanding glass would work? :)

... slight update: Just saw this and will prob pick it up since it's so cheap.  At least I'll know the thickness wont be an issue and it will be locked down when siliconed to the 40g breeder: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-12-in-x-36-in-Clear-Glass-91236/202091044

Phosphates!!  Yesterday, I measured the phosphates w/a Hanna and it was maxed at 200.   I made sure to clean the vial and am sure it was high b/c it turned a pretty blue color when applying the powder.  So, I dosed 12ml of SeaKlear but for some reason dont see precipitate!  Kind of puzzled on that one.  Anyone have an idea?