Twin-Arc MH bulbs

surf&turf

$(KGrHqN,!iUE+PfsyrswBP1gD-PlKg~~60_57.J

Has anyone tried these, got mine off ebay at a very good price. I see premium aquatics carry them as well.

I got the 15k version. 

(edited)

No, every time they fire, they switch back and forth between the two elements. I really like the color of the 15k. They also come in a 10k/14k combination.

Suppose to make them last longer. 

Edited by surf&turf

(edited)

Burn position is universal. 

Avg lamp life 22,000 hrs. 

Twin ARC metal halide bulbs is literally two bulbs in one. Our Metal halide bulbs will greatly improve the lighting in your aquarium.  The Twin Arc bulbs are energy efficient due its design and will save you tons of money. They promote maximum growth and color in corals and other invertebrates. These lamps have better performance, color specs, and life hours then standard Single Ended metal halide Aquarium Bulbs. Twin ARC bulbs switch alternately each time the lamp is fired/turn on by providing maximum output and color consistency. The Twin ARC bulbs have two separate color temperatures.  By cycling the lamp (turning it ON/OFF) you can select the color temperature desired allowing you to set your light cycles to specific needs.  The Twin ARC bulb has built in circuitry allowing the bulb to be controlled by either manually, timer, or by lighting controller.  Twin ARC bulbs do not require any special wiring.  They work with any Electronic & Magnetic Ballast. Twin ARC bulbs DO NOT fire simultaneously. They are fired in alternation each time BULB is turned on/off.

The bulbs that I got, both sides are 15k

Edited by surf&turf

So, is the logic that a single bulb will last you twice as long and save you money because you'll replace them half as often? Because it seems that the operating energy has to be about the same given that they have a specific operating voltage and current draw that is compatible with the metal halide standard that the lamp is designed to meet (e.g M58, M153, etc.) .

So, is the logic that a single bulb will last you twice as long and save you money because you'll replace them half as often? Because it seems that the operating energy has to be about the same given that they have a specific operating voltage and current draw that is compatible with the metal halide standard that the lamp is designed to meet (e.g M58, M153, etc.) .

That's what I'm thinking. So far I like them. 

In the lighting trade these are known as re-strikes and they have been around for a long time. A normal metal vapor bulb needs time to cool back down before it will re-light so these were made to provide light faster after a power is restored or after a minor power bump. It's cool they have used an old technology and re-purposed it for the hobby.

• 2 months later...

OK, its been a little over 2 months and I really like these bulbs. I paired them with 2 T-5 blue plus and my coral colors have never looked better. They are half the price of most single end MH so you get 2 for one, and they are suppose to last longer.