Terrible news

davelin315

Dave, thanks a MILLION for the virtual tour!  I knew I wouldn't be able to make it before they closed the exhibit and was bummed about that.  You at least gave me one last good look at some of it =).

I tried to put a select few up here but I can't seem to get the correct picture format any longer...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm off tomorrow, hopefully I can make it there too...haven't been to the zoo yet since we moved here! (Went back in 1997 when we had a field trip up here for a shooting contest for NJROTC)

So this response was put up by Dennis Kelly, Zoo Director. It's nice that there has been some push back to make the zoo address the response from the community. I don't see it stopping it from happening.

I don't see it stopping it from happening.

I agree, it is quite obvious they have decided what they are going to do and are sticking to it. I think only a HUGE donation and/or the president could change things now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This is pretty annoying to read and am disappointed like everyone else.

My question is not about how it will raise the money now but how did the exhibit get to need $5 million in improvements? Is it out of neglect? How did the infrastructure get to a point that it affects the zoo's ability to care for it's inhabitants? This is not the only example of being reactive instead of proactive but it seems that using the "we need $5 million just to maintain the exhibit" seems more like the result of digging their own grave.

This is pretty annoying to read and am disappointed like everyone else.

My question is not about how it will raise the money now but how did the exhibit get to need $5 million in improvements? Is it out of neglect? How did the infrastructure get to a point that it affects the zoo's ability to care for it's inhabitants? This is not the only example of being reactive instead of proactive but it seems that using the "we need $5 million just to maintain the exhibit" seems more like the result of digging their own grave.

Unfortunately it's the way things are run now. With budget deficits everyone hopes to get one more year out of things and 8 years later stuff is failing. I can only imagine they put bandaids on everything they possibly could have up till this point. Once you have to start breaking concrete and paying contractors to rebuild stuff, cost go through the roof.

Plus I'm sure all that land they have out in Front Royal puts stress on the zoo as well

"Let us not mourn our spineless friends, but instead celebrate the time we had together. Let us remember the good times, marveling at the oddness of the common cuttlefish. Let us savor the sweet moments in which we were convinced that that octopus was waving at us. Let us reflect on walking by the insect displays, thinking quietly to ourselves "really, grasshoppers? Didn't think I'd have to go to the Zoo to see those, but whatever."

Life, as they say, finds a way—whether you were born as a species with or without a backbone."

- Matt Cohen

From this article.

"Let us not mourn our spineless friends, but instead celebrate the time we had together. Let us remember the good times, marveling at the oddness of the common cuttlefish. Let us savor the sweet moments in which we were convinced that that octopus was waving at us. Let us reflect on walking by the insect displays, thinking quietly to ourselves "really, grasshoppers? Didn't think I'd have to go to the Zoo to see those, but whatever."

Life, as they say, finds a way—whether you were born as a species with or without a backbone."

- Matt Cohen

From this article.

Funny, my statement on Facebook is in his article...

(edited)

I told you guys to buy the VIP parking!

If you see me say hi. I am wearing a teal tank top and have rainbow star tattoos.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Edited by Squishie89

Good hike for the kids. We saw FOX news doing interviews at the exhibit.

The jellyfish are the coolest.

Found parking, lot D. Looks like they had started breaking down some of the tanks already. Too crowded for my liking. I wish people wouldn't bring their strollers in, like it says on the doors....

Anyways, one last hurrah:

DSC_0051_zps8e2d2d74.jpg

DSC_0053_zpsf4febfcc.jpg

DSC_0054_zpsaf3d5694.jpg

DSC_0058_zps524ed197.jpg

DSC_0059_zpsaac74f12.jpg

DSC_0061_zps8195093e.jpg

DSC_0063_zpscd1418fb.jpg

DSC_0064_zps4a2b76a7.jpg

I had better luck outside the invert house with pictures:

DSC_0093_zps25522d99.jpg

DSC_0103_zpsd7762863.jpg

DSC_0075_zps648aead2.jpg

DSC_0047_zpsce0af9bb.jpg

DSC_0044_zpse3556819.jpg

DSC_0111_zps6f7c488c.jpg

I left a sign at the counter. I cried when driving away. A really sad day. However I was glad to see so many people visiting (even if it did make it quite crowded) before it closed for good. I am so curious as to where the elegance will be going, would be awesome if it went to the national aquarium and stayed in the area.

Just so you guys know, there is tons of parking in offbeat areas where you don't have to pay at all.  You 'll have to walk a little bit, but it's hassle free.  Check out areas of rock creek park to the north and south of the zoo. 

I'm sad I didn't get to go this weekend (out of town), but I'm glad to see everyone's pictures.

In the comments section of that article I found the following Diddy....literally sprayed water out of my nose...

"It's tough to compete with a much bigger invertebrate House across town displaying over 400 spineless elephants and donkeys."

Truer words were never spoken