Does anyone know if you can drill a Coralife BioCube?

wade

Have been thinking about adding a 29g tank to my system (common sump with my 180) to house some anglers/leaf/scorpion fish of some type.

Does anyone know if you can drill the back or bottom of these tanks?

Contact manufacturer to see if it is in part or in whole tempered glass. If you drill tempered glass it will fracture.

I actually did some poking around online and haven't found much yet.  Was hoping someone here would know offhand.  Will keep searching.

Ah. youtube to the rescue.  Found a couple of videos of people drilling the back of these tanks.  Sweet.  That will help a ton.

Yeah, the bottom is tempered, back glass is not!

I found quite a few references saying Corallife are tempered on bottom, but not back.  That works.

Thanks all.  I still have my set of diamond hole bits.  If I am able to pull this off, I will probably go with a 1" drain line and do a return over the back to minimize leakage potential.

Yeah, the bottom is tempered, back glass is not!

yeah I have a friend that has his drilled, and if were patient Mbat can let us know how it works out for him.

Echoing what others have said, Oceanic advertises that only the bottom of their tanks is tempered.  Keep in mind that drilling will void any kind of warranty.  Here at the shop we modified a biocube by making it rimless and stuck a Kessil over it.  It's primarily an LPS tank and we've got a few frogfish and a lionfish in it.  It's a pretty sweet looking mod!