Acrylic Tank Advice

Spoonman1979

Just purchased my dream tank, however it is my first acrylic tank. What advice would anyone who has kept a large acrylic tank? I want to do a sand bed but am concerned with scratches. Any other things to be careful of...? Thanks!

Umm...just be careful when using your mag float...don't get it anywhere near the sand...and ... Make sure you can't have any rockslides....that's about it...

Clean the panel often. If you start getting coraline build up, it's a bear to remove and you'll have very tired arms to show for it. It's the reason that I went back to glass after a few of years of having an acrylic 180.

As for things that work well to clean an acrylic panel that you might not have thought of:

The original Dobie kitchen cleaning sponge

The original Mr. Clean magic eraser

Plastic credit card or hotel key card

congrat!!!

x2  on meg float.

be very careful when you use meg float , when the sand got in there it will give some scars.

What is the best way to remove coralline algae?

If it's just a little, then a credit card is handy. There are also specialized scrapers that have a bit more stiffness to them that can be effective in chipping it away. If it gets really thick, I've resorted to sanding it away with a really fine grit (lapidary) polishing cloth - like 3500 or 8000 grit.

What is the best way to remove coralline algae?

I'd say it would probably be easier (if you can) to prevent coraline from happening first. I have a glass tank, but every morning I take the time to clean my glass. It takes a less than 60 seconds, and I'm frequently asked how I keep the font pane so clean. I know that my Algae Free Hammerhead came with acrylic pads as well. They are a little expensive as an initial investment, but pay for themselves over just a little bit of time.

Amazon sells acrylic glass cleaner kit with extra cartidges. The whole setup costs $20.00 and works great on my acrylic tank. Check ou brs.com and they will show u how to use it.

Its easier than cleaning glass!