Coral Beauty and Flame angel

mling

I have am thinking of adding a coral beauty to my 156G that already has a well established flame angel.  The coral is about half an inch to an inch larger than the flame. 

Is this too much of a risk ?  I do have a 55 FOWLR to put the Coral if they WWIII breaks out in the 156.

Oh, the other hand, I would probably have a hard time catching the Coral in the 156.

I currently have both in a 120 gallon, and they get along well. I started with the coral beauty and bought the flame about 6 months later. Both fish are about the same size (flame is slightly larger).

I think you'll be just fine.  But why not try something that the flame hybridizes with in the wild, there is a small chance that you'll get them mating.  I think the flame hybridizes with the rusty angel, I think it is the same family as the lemonpeel.  If you do get spawning, that event would cause quite a lot of interest.

But the flame and coral beauty are both gorgeous fish, so you won't go wrong with those two.  I assume there are plenty of hiding places in your 156, so I don't see a problem.

OK, I got out to BRK to get this guy before one of these WAMAS people get it at the BRK social this weekend when I will be out of town  !  :clap:

coral Beauty

That's the good news !

Bad news is that my flame, maroon and powder blue is giving this guy a hard time.  But as Dave pointed out, my 156 does give it places to hide.  I also put in that Carmelo Rock Barnacle I recently purchased. I figured that this is a new item that none of the current inhabitants have "claimed"  That worked. see this ->

coral barnacle

Now the question is how long should I let this poor guy suffer in this 156 before moving him to my 55 FOWLR where there will be peace since only a yellow tang, clown and toby puffer are in it; all very passive.

Is he getting beat up or just bullied a bit? Make sure he is able to eat. If you can catch him, then perhaps an acclimation box inside the 156 would be a good place for him for a week or two.

I usually go lights out a couple days when I add a fish that might cause some fighting.  Maybe that will help.

That's what I did before leaving for work this morning. I turned off the front half of the lights.

Seems to have helped.  The coral beauty is now swimming out in the open all the time, darting from one end to the other, kind of like what he was doing at BRK.

Only my maroon tries to harass it now and then but it never get closer than an inch to it since the coral beauty is fast! The flame and power blue seems to have lost interest in it.  Not at all a problem as the maroon does that to other fishes every now and then, being a typical maroon. It is not feeding but it was taking pellets at BRK so it would appear to have taken to feed out of the "wild".  Took some freeze dried phytoplankton but spit it out. Not too concern with feeding since it has only been about 24 hrs since it's introduction.

Question is, how long should I keep half my lights off without harming the corals ?  Does it look like I am past the "issues" with my coral beauty ?

(edited)

As few as a few hours to 2 days I will do, depending on the fish.  As soon as you are comfortable in thinking the fish have decided to ignore the new guy you can turn the light back on.

And based on what you are saying, I think everything sounds ok.  But sometimes fish are a-holes and decide to attack again when the lights come back on.

Edited by MBVette

That coral beauty is a real "beauty".  It has more yellow than the typically purple Philipine fish.  Do you know where it came from?  Was it a deepwater fish?

I believe its from Tonga. Not sure if thats the one I saw on Saturday, if not then there may still be one in stock.

That coral beauty is a real "beauty". It has more yellow than the typically purple Philipine fish. Do you know where it came from? Was it a deepwater fish?

It is from Tonga. Got it from BRK. Johnny may be able to get another for you if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

That coral beauty is a real "beauty". It has more yellow than the typically purple Philipine fish. Do you know where it came from? Was it a deepwater fish?

It is from Tonga. Got it from BRK. Johnny may be able to get another for you if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

As few as a few hours to 2 days I will do, depending on the fish.  As soon as you are comfortable in thinking the fish have decided to ignore the new guy you can turn the light back on.

And based on what you are saying, I think everything sounds ok.  But sometimes fish are a-holes and decide to attack again when the lights come back on.

Well, I tried turning all the lights on and I have 2 a-holes ..... the powder no longer bothers it though.

Here's hoping to only have 1 this evening.