CS-2 Pump recommendation

Geoffwehler

Hi folks. I purchased a CS-2 Black Pearl about 6-8 months ago from another club member. I'm sure I'm the 3rd or 4th owner by now. I was wondering what the recommended pump size is for this skimmer. I've read all the threads that are here and various others through google searches. I'm just not convinced I've got this operating at peak potential. It works well but just like the previous threads, I'm just not getting the volume of skimmate that I used to with a smaller other popular brand. I'm using a MJ1200 currently. The skimmer is less then 2 feet higher than the sump water level but it is about 6-7 feet away in a fish room. I'm using 1/2" clear vinyl tubing to get there. Water quality seems okay in general. No worse than it was anyway. I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this unit. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hey Bro contact Avast and talk to Jason. He should be able to point you in the right direction. BTW how about a build update?

I am always thinking about a build thread. At this point I've got two years of pictures stored. The layout has changed countless times already. It's just such a daunting task. I'll try to reach out to Jason. Thanks for the contact name!

Hey Bro contact Avast and talk to Jason. He should be able to point you in the right direction. BTW how about a build update?

Last I checked it was Justin, I don't think they have a Jason working at Avast Marine.

I would suggest a PSK-1000 and a MJ-1200 like you have already for a feed. Never hurts to reach out though! On my CS3 I run x2 of the PSK-1000's, and I use a MJ-1200 also. I think Rob suggested that if you run a smaller feed pump, think MJ-600, you can get better performance/control. Just beat on the street, so don't quote me!

With the added head pressure I would step up the feed pump to a mag 5 or similar.  Tank size/ stocking levels and any other info would be helpful to get the full picture though, if you can send that to support@avastmarine.com we will be happy to take a closer look.  

Last I checked it was Justin, I don't think they have a Jason working at Avast Marine.

I would suggest a PSK-1000 and a MJ-1200 like you have already for a feed. Never hurts to reach out though! On my CS3 I run x2 of the PSK-1000's, and I use a MJ-1200 also. I think Rob suggested that if you run a smaller feed pump, think MJ-600, you can get better performance/control. Just beat on the street, so don't quote me!

Jason's new. He's an Oompa Loompa too. I'm thinking of hiring a couple myself.

Thank you guys for the responses. I'll reach out to avast support directly on this one. Isaac, when I purchased the CS2. It came to me with a MJ600. I upped it to a MJ1200 because of the distance from the sump and rather smallish tubing. It makes send to me that a smaller pump would allow more contact time in the reaction chamber. How is it that you run two psk1000's and a MJ? I have a psk1000 on the recirculating pump. Are you teeing two feed pumps? I'll post some of the requested specifics below and whatever response I get, just in case anyone else is wondering the same or similar. Pics to follow.

Posted Image

Main display tanks are a 125, 40breeder, and a 20 long that replaced a 50 gallon that leaked on me. Almost three years later and I still haven't trimmed the front.

Posted Image

Behind the scenes are another 20 long with live rock rubble to gravity feed pods into main 125 display. Below that is a 20 high that is a deep sand bed and macro garden that falls back into the sump. To the right of that is the CS2 in question. It's about 6-7 feet to the right of the sump and approx 18" above the sump water level.

Posted Image

The sump is a 75 with about 20lbs of rubble. I just swapped it in place of a 55 on Saturday and skimmer output has increased a bit but quality of foam seems better. More stable at least (dryer & fluffier) without any adjustment. This is what promoted me to post. I just don't think I'm getting the most out of the skimmer. Btw, I've never had a problem with this skimmer. Overflowing, constant tinkering, or anything else people typically post about skimmers.

This system is very lightly stocked at the moment. 9 smallish fish total.

Here's a list and a few pictures.

P

125G: 5 small fish. Pair of juvenile false percs, purple firefish, royal gramma, a potters angel, and the coolest long spine urchin (thanks Pants)

Posted Image

40B: yellow tail damsel, dwarf hawkfish, and a neon dottyback.

20l holds a Condy and it's host Clarkii (the odd couple!

Posted Image

Thank you guys for the responses. I'll reach out to avast support directly on this one. Isaac, when I purchased the CS2. It came to me with a MJ600. I upped it to a MJ1200 because of the distance from the sump and rather smallish tubing. It makes send to me that a smaller pump would allow more contact time in the reaction chamber. How is it that you run two psk1000's and a MJ? I have a psk1000 on the recirculating pump. Are you teeing two feed pumps? I'll post some of the requested specifics below and whatever response I get, just in case anyone else is wondering the same or similar. Pics to follow.

Cs3 is bigger I believe. I would send an email to avast about your setup, as suggested above!

Dan replied to the thread in post #5

With the added head pressure I would step up the feed pump to a mag 5 or similar.  Tank size/ stocking levels and any other info would be helpful to get the full picture though, if you can send that to support@avastmarine.com we will be happy to take a closer look.  

Dan replied to the thread in post #5

Hence the "as suggested above!"