A New Era At Wally's Aquarium

Guest PowderBrown

Just to put it out in the open I do work for Congressional on Sundays. I am not trying to promote them, but since I have started working there we have started changing the Saltwater department for the better. We will actually be moving into a bigger store in a few weeks and the saltwater section will be almost three times as large. I am trying my best to keep the fish healthy, but we had a few problems in the past that have now been taken care of.

Happy Reefing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I went to Wally's early this afternoon to re-check it out since I appeared to be "sticking up for them" in another thread.

I can see a difference since the last time I was there 6-8 months ago.

It's like any business with different departments, you get a fresh new someone in there with the sole intention to improve it and you see results, not over night but day by day.

Looks like a bunch of the corals and fish they recently got were already gone but those that were left were as good as any place else.

I asked for a quick tour behind the scenes. Neat way to plumb a whole bunch of tanks together and there are more plans to improve it.

I'm confident that Wally's will continue to reconfirm relations with existing suppliers and locate new and different ones in the process. Looks like we got another place willing to be as proactive as our new friends at BRK.

I hope that they clear off a metal shelf, paint it, refill it and go all the way down the hardgoods display area. A little rustoleum paint would go a long way for appearence.

I also stopped by Wally's this weekend not much of choices as far as marine life.Prices were OK I grabbed up a couple of shrimp which I couldn't resist.Customer relations was good also.I also shop at Congressional from time to time and have always got the customer service I needed there.A bit pricey but the fish looked pretty healthy to me.

Guest alex wlazlak

i know a while back they didnt have too many fish, and some were cramped in small tanks and looked unhealthy, and isnt the coral tank like wierd (?)isnt it like a foot tall, and like 4 feet square and then theres one a few inches above it? the corals that they had werent bad, but im interested in stoping by somtime... all this talk has me excited :)

I stopped by the other night, there has been a very big and marked turn around in the store, the fish tanks have finally got some attention,

Thought the coral selection was lacking, i counted 9 Flowerpot corals in their display tank as you go in, (Don't they only last about 9 months tops in aquariums)

Other than that it looks like big things are on the way at Wally's.

But with John & Byron 10 mins from my house i know where i'll be shopping, especially when they get that big display tank up. WOOT

Anton

Wow. You guys act like you've never seen a decent fish and corals before. LFS gets few decent fishes and corals and your eyes light up. Isn't LFS suppose to have quality fish and corals? I don't know where you guys shopped before, but I see many LFS with quality and large selections in stock. Yes, in stock...imagine that.

Is a convenient store convenient if they seldom have your brand of cigarette, have hot cup of coffee once in a while or out of your type of gas? You walk in one day and praise them all over town because they had everything in stock that one day? Isn't convenient store suppose to be well stocked to make it convenient? Isn't that why it's called convenient store?

Your Internet provider is down half of the time, would you praise your Internet provider for providing half of the time?

What is LFS suppose to have?

Call it what it is and stop blowing smoke up someone's ***.

I know I will get lots of "hate" PM's, but I think they should know where they stand.

If you don't know what the problem is, how else are you going to trouble shoot it?

Wally's is making a big move and that might be the reason for low inventory or making a big move cost money and inventory is money. Bigger doesn't always spell quality or better. Bigger means higher overhead, which leads to higher prices to cover the high overhead. How much did your electric bill jump after installing all your equipment?

I sincerely hope Wally's big move is successful and I wish them well. I think honesty will help them and us in the long run.

Best wishes ~

I've always called them convenience stores but that's nothing more than terminology.

Me, ... I'm simply applauding the turn around and not proclaiming it as the new and only place to shop for convenient.

Personally, I'll still ride out to a number of different LFS's and scramble over to a new one as soon as I can, as will all these people on this board, or most anyone in this hobby.

Encouragement my friend, encouragement.

So do tell, which LFS is it you own or work at?

Norboo -

where do you shop? And what do you expect to see in a lfs?

52316[/snapback]

I shop all over DC area. Some are better than others. I also shop online. I am not trying to promote any LFS or demote them. Encouragement is good but to what extent? I think some of the posts are overkill. Facts are, they are trying to improve, but they still have long ways to go...and as I have mentioned above, I do wish them success.

I am a shopper and love researching.

"What do I expect to see in LFS?" Quality fishes, corals, decent prices, knowledgeable and friendly staff. I do expect quality at a fair price. Is that too much to ask for? :)

Own a fish store? No, maybe not yet. If I had the time, I wouldn't mind opening a warehouse type that caters to dogs and fish to support my hobby. Just last night, I was trying to encourage my better half to open shop. But she has other dreams. Women! *throwing hands in the air* *sigh*

• 4 weeks later...
Guest m.rogers

i am from baltimore and would like to know where they are at (address so i can mapquest it)

thanks

mike

I have been living in this area for over twenty years now and it seems like Wally's wants to turn their store around once a year with minimal success. I rather drive from Dale City to Randelstown (North of Baltimore), a place called the Aquarium Center.

I bought a 250 g. aquarium a while back and broke it at home unloading, and they exchanged it for me even though it was my fault

www.aquariumcenter.com

Well, I made it to Wally's on Monday. Walked in, run into at least two employees and NONE say either HI, or MAY I HELP YOU. Surprised? NO. The older fellow was helping a customer in the saltwater area, the other two young guys were just going about their business. Is this the start they are talking about? Well then there is a lot to work on, and let's start with Customer Service... I spent close to 20 minutes, walked the entire store and still no approach. I just walked out and left. Maybe next time.

just a feedback.

Well, I made it to Wally's on Monday.  Walked in, run into at least two employees and NONE say either HI, or MAY I HELP YOU.  Surprised?  NO.  The older fellow was helping a customer in the saltwater area, the other two young guys were just going about their business.  Is this the start they are talking about?  Well then there is a lot to work on, and let's start with Customer Service...  I spent close to 20 minutes, walked the entire store and still no approach.  I just walked out and left.  Maybe next time.

55519[/snapback]

Typical LFS behavior is to let you browse. I actually prefer that, as long as someone can help me when I need it.

What I don't like is surly (Tropical Lagoon and Roozen's) or ill-informed (won't mention names) reps. I'd rather get an honest and polite "I don't know", which is what I often get at Congressional or Wally's. I don't count on LFS staff for information. I just use their stores for livestock purchases, so I want to know where it's from, how long it's been in the tank, and whether it's eating/opening up.

There was a place in VA called the Reef Tank I think (in an industrial park, you enter through a loading dock) where the staff was knowledgable and NOT condescending. I liked that.

My criteria for Wally's or any LFS are (in descending order) would be: convenience, selection, price, quality,..., customer service.

My criteria for Wally's or any LFS are (in descending order) would be: convenience, selection, price, quality,..., customer service.

55524[/snapback]

Ok then,

Convenience: it is too far from my house or work place

Selection: beside two dead fish in their tanks, there were 7 live saltwater fishes. 7? is that selection?

Price: well I found that Super Pet has Mag 9 and Mag 7 for at least $10 less than Wally's.

Quality: Did I mentioned dead fish? Oh well that happens in any LFS anyway.

Customer Servie: I'm not in for kissing @$$$, but Courtesy is the first step to customer satisfaction and that comes along with customer service.

Sincerely and in all honesty. I wish them well and hope they can progress in their standards to become a better LFS. After all it is good for competition, and good for all of us too. Good Luck , see you in a couple of month or so.

The reef tank is in Burke off Roberts Parkway. Good place. staff knows their stuff. Just the hours they keep were not too convenient.

Wally's has always been Wally's. I don't think they will ever change.

What do you guys think of Petco's salt selection?

With all respect, if we want to talk about other LFS let's start another post and not hijack this thread from Wally's please.

by the way.. The Reef Tank closed last year. They are no longer in business. Mike is now a WAMAS member, (a.k.a. Mikefromreeftank) his experience and expertise in the saltwater hobby will help this club tremendously.

The reef tank is in Burke off Roberts Parkway. Good place. staff knows their stuff. Just the hours they keep were not too convenient.

Wally's has always been Wally's. I don't think they will ever change.

What do you guys think of Petco's salt selection?

55540[/snapback]

THE REEF TANK is closed!!! Don't go there, Mike from the reeftank in on the boards.

I went by today to check out the new era and it sucked and was not worth my time!!! I was very disapointed and would say don't waste your time!!!

very unhappy

Brian