A Fireworm and Bristleworm Crawl Into A Bar

Squishie89

Last night I caught one of my fireworms (he was out and about so I grabbed him with some tongs) and put him in the sump. He was out and about again in the sump so I decided to grab him and take some photos.
8he2.jpg
1iw1.jpg
This hefty fellow measures in at 1/4" wide and about 3"+ long (a little bit of his tail came off otherwise he would be a bit longer)
To give some scale, I also grabbed a typical, normal bristleworm
5e4c.jpg
Yes, that is both of them. That is just how HUGE the fireworm is
fnum.jpg
Bristleworms also make good hats FYI
y6jh.jpg
e0oo.jpg
The belly of the beast
qyxj.jpg
Bristles for days
a8pp.jpg
And their weirdly cute mouth

beautiful creature. But Glad I don't have any ;)

must be what's wrong with your tank....

these worms are part of a healthy reeftank and should be encouraged to grow.

I'm confused sorry to steal thread. Are fire worms good. I have always been told no. Bristle worms are fine as long as the number doesn't get out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confused sorry to steal thread. Are fire worms good. I have always been told no. Bristle worms are fine as long as the number doesn't get out of control. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's one species of fireworm that's predatory and a problem. The rest of the fireworms that have been reported in our tanks are useful. There are reports of a species of fireworm that eats corals and smaller fish and grows large

How do you keep the numbers in check? I got a bunch ane they seem to be gaining in numbers. I even have young ones. I don't see any ill effects though. Mine sat and wait when I feed the fish

How do you keep the numbers in check? I got a bunch ane they seem to be gaining in numbers. I even have young ones. I don't see any ill effects though. Mine sat and wait when I feed the fish

If you saw what was happening underneath my tank floor in that thread I linked above, would you believe that I hardly see em'? I have a Hoevens Wrasse (aka melanurus) that dive bombs at them all the time. I also hear that if you feed less, their population dwindles. They are part of your CUC!

Weirdly enough I have episodes of baby bristlewowms - http://squishie90gfowlr.tumblr.com/post/83359651815/bristleworm-party-last-night That actually happens multiple times a month. In my display, other than the couple of fireworms, I have no bristleworms that are seen. My sump has bristleworms though.

Natural selection kicks in with cleanup crews. Bristle worms are pretty much limited to eat what your fish don't eat. So people that tend to over feed tend to end up indirectly feeding the bristle worms, boosting their size, population and health. You won't see ill effects until you remove all of the worms. The food that they would have ate and cleaned up will lay then decay. Causing problems.