Piece of the reef

st9z

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those are pretty good photos niki! tell me it's not your cell phone? and the clowns ended up being a nice aesthetic match, too - good collaboration between you two! thanks for the photo update, glad things are going well!

those are pretty good photos niki! tell me it's not your cell phone? and the clowns ended up being a nice aesthetic match, too - good collaboration between you two! thanks for the photo update, glad things are going well!

Yep it is with my iPhone...jk I took the pictures with my D700. I can't seem to get a good shot of the corals though. I think the LEDs and the angle of the glass is messing everything up.

The clowns are great! They are the most peacefullest ones I have ever had. The female anthias swims with them all day and they don't seem to mind at all. Thanks again for selling me the pair.

Yep it is with my iPhone...jk I took the pictures with my D700. I can't seem to get a good shot of the corals though. I think the LEDs and the angle of the glass is messing everything up.

The clowns are great! They are the most peacefullest ones I have ever had. The female anthias swims with them all day and they don't seem to mind at all. Thanks again for selling me the pair.

ha! yeah they didn't look like iphone photos. yeah shooting through the glass at anything other than straight on is a hopeless affair. the avast top-down for cell phones or your SLR work really well, though, for those corals shots you talked about. shoot in RAW and your WB LED issues are easily taken care of in post. i've had lots of success that way it just takes a bit more time.

glad the clowns are working out so well for you. everyone who bought some from me mention the same thing but they are still juvies so they don't know to be a-hole teengers yet  :tongue: glad to have contributed in some way with your build. i like the clean look so far - keep it up!

You are a good matchmaker with the fish pairing! Have you liked the anthias? Are they picked eaters? What kind?

So far the female anthias has been a riot. She constantly comes out and swims with the clowns or gets a mandi/pedi from my fire shrimp. She eats anything frozen and pellet food. The male anthias is the total opposite. He is constantly hiding and only comes out for frozen food. Both anthias are dispar anthias.

ha! yeah they didn't look like iphone photos. yeah shooting through the glass at anything other than straight on is a hopeless affair. the avast top-down for cell phones or your SLR work really well, though, for those corals shots you talked about. shoot in RAW and your WB LED issues are easily taken care of in post. i've had lots of success that way it just takes a bit more time.

Would you recommend purchasing the avast top-down over a macro lens for the camera? I was considering purchasing a 105 lens to take better pics of the corals. If the Avast top-down works just as great, then it would mean more money for corals :)

Would you recommend purchasing the avast top-down over a macro lens for the camera? I was considering purchasing a 105 lens to take better pics of the corals. If the Avast top-down works just as great, then it would mean more money for corals :)

i would use the avast top-down with your macro lens on your camera for optimal results :tongue:

i haven't tried the cell phone top down but you could always start there and see what kind of results you get with your iphone. i know there are a few cell phone shots with the avast cell phone port hole around wamas somewhere.

That's a tough comparison.The avast top down is $40, a nice macro is around $300 used. Neither one will make your pictures better without practice, and all though they both help with photography, they have two very different uses.It's like asking if you should buy a capo, or the strings...

• 2 weeks later...

That's a tough comparison.The avast top down is $40, a nice macro is around $300 used. Neither one will make your pictures better without practice, and all though they both help with photography, they have two very different uses.It's like asking if you should buy a capo, or the strings...

Completely agree practice makes it perfect.

BTW your DIY challenge is now a success thanks to the help of Bob AKA rtsusc83

Posted Image

Looks beautiful! Challenge accepted, and mission accomplished! How do you feel about it?

It feels good not accepting "Not possible" from Aquaillumination and my sub-conscience. After multiple exploration on various method it was finally possible. Now I feel confident that I can grow anything anywhere in my tank :)

Pshh, anything is possible, moving your lights from vertical to horizontal should not quaker your confidence! Keep it coming!

Glad to be of help! It also helps when you are a stone throw away.

It sure is awesome to have a fellow reefer so close to home :)

• 1 month later...

How about an update?! I bet this is looking really good!

How about an update?! I bet this is looking really good!

Not much going on so far. Both of the anthias didn't make it. They rather starve to death then stay in my tank :/ They have been replaced with fast eating Midas blenny and Fairy Wrasse. 

I will try to take some pics soon. 

Great aquacape!!!

Thank you very much.

• 2 months later...