Unusually aggressive yellow tang?

dante411x

I recently added 3 lyretail anthias to my tank and ever since then the yellow tang has gone nuts. He dive bombs all the fish in there and is just overall going crazy. This has kept on for 3 days now. I'm not sure what to do. I've thought of rearranging all the rock work, but would rather not since I'll be removing all the rock and fish to a holding tank for a day in the very near future (probably in a week). I'm thinking he will stop once that happens and he goes back to a very different looking environment, but I'm getting a little worried. Catching him would be.. Problematic to say the least. Any suggestions? He does stop to eat and hides at night but I'm kind of tired of turning the lights off every time he decides to go crazy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellow Tangs are usually the bossy tank mates. Wait it out and see if it subsides. If it doesn't, I would suggest removing the tang and adding it again later, or selling it and grabbing one again when you're done stocking the tank. Could always try new scape as well, but probably easier to move the tang in and out. JMO.

I had a yellow that I had to get rid of for this very reason. After it killed two fish it had to go. I added another later down the road

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I told you of my recent story. My YT killed my two wyoming whites and I was forced to sale him. I would suggest the same as Isaac suggested ,Maybe sale him and grab a new one?

it could take a few more days.  he is just letting everyone know who is boss.  My YT does this to all fish in introduce to the tank.  after awhile he will calm down but still let the others know who is boss

I could put the YT in the fuge for the time being. But how do I catch him? Seems that I'll be breaking down the whole tank just to get him out.

I could put the YT in the fuge for the time being. But how do I catch him? Seems that I'll be breaking down the whole tank just to get him out.

Just google the different methods for fish catching, or spend some money on a fish catching box (maybe you can borrow one.)

Monkiboy posted up a really great link on this some time ago, and I've not been able to find it since, maybe he can help you out.

But how do I catch him? Seems that I'll be breaking down the whole tank just to get him out.

Just google the different methods for fish catching, or spend some money on a fish catching box (maybe you can borrow one.)

Monkiboy posted up a really great link on this some time ago, and I've not been able to find it since, maybe he can help you out.

if the more common ways don't work (catch with a fish trap, while they sleep, sectioning off your tank, etc) you can take a look here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=707656

Yeah. I've considered most of it. It's impossible to catch him with a net. Drain method will have to do. Thankfully I have enough tubs and containers to put 200 gallons of water in since I'll be draining the tank soon. And hopefully everything survives until tomorrow when I can actually try to get this done.