light acclimatizing acropora

sen5241b

An article at live aquaria says you may have to take "months" to light acclimate sps. This seems kind of long. In that amount of time perhaps the sps might not get enough light, true?

How do you light acclimate your sps and how long do you take to do it?

I drop mine on my sandbed and forget about them for a while...anywhere from a couple weeks to...ummmm...4 months.. The ones I've mounted in high PAR too quickly haven't done as well for a little while.

I actually believe that can be true. I have recently received some frags from a member. One of them is doing great and the other immediately turned brown. I decided it was up too high in the tank and after a day or two I moved it down quite a bit. Not the brown is slowly giving way to some color but it's going to be a while.

This is an example of the recovery taking a few months probably, but if I had been smart i would have gone much slower and given it a few weeks to adjust.  But that requires patience.  

I also think live aquaria is going to hedge their bets on the side of extreme caution in the the interest of success and possibly a CYA move in case frags don't do well after being received... 

I'm lazy.  I just put my frags where I think I want them, and leave them be.  The really tiny frags are kind of uninteresting anyways, so if they brown out, no big deal to me, but the reality for me is that very few brown out.