Which Anemone

sen5241b

I have a small 20G long with good water quality and 150 watt MH. Is there a small anemone I can put in there that won't crawl around a wreak havoc?

I've had good luck with Flower Anemones and mini maxi anemones staying put. But with all anemones it's a crapshoot whether they will stay put or not.

I have a rock/flower nem, had it for over a year even moved tanks with it and it's still attached to the same rock that I put it on when it 1st went in

mine started out white and turned Burgandy/green after a few months, not sure if that was a good thing but it eats well so I figure it's healthy, from what I hear they are darn near impossible to kill

and they don't have a powerhead fascination either

Very true, I lost a bubble tip that way.

looking back I have killed a lot of stuff my 1st year in SW lol

According to LiveAquaria rock flower anemones need moderate light. I have 150 watt Mh over my 20G long. The light is 14 inches over the bottom of my tank. I am really having trouble finding nice things that can live under that much light. I put an orange pavonna under that light and it bleached in a day and yes I light-acclimated it.

a rock/flower anemone will be fine.

Nobody can promise you an anemone wont move, so don't expect a guarantee on that front. I have had success with rock/flowers not traveling.

If you can find a spot to partially shade it you would definitely be fine. If it wants to move ever so slightly towards some light then it will

flowernems_zps7b549c2e.jpg

BTW the one in the container with the mesh over it is a new one that I was getting attached to some rubble, there's also 2 more in there with it that I couldn't get a decent shot from this angle

Edited by dread240

In the display right now just those 4, but I have 7 total. I may keep the super bright green one with the blue streaks instead of auctioning it, but another one is identical to that bottom one (with the stripes) and then I have another pinkish/reddish one as well too with a mainly green oral disc with red streaks through it, couldn't get good pictures of those though

but yes, that purple/pink/white is my favorite by far lol

Edited by dread240

a rock/flower anemone will be fine.

Nobody can promise you an anemone wont move, so don't expect a guarantee on that front. I have had success with rock/flowers not traveling.

Very true, I think your chances of it staying where you put it are better than with other types on Anemones, but I guess if it doesnt like where you put it it will move,mine is on the underside of a rock ledge, it opens up evry day and soaks up some rays, them tuck himself back in the shade in the evening after I feed it, they dont seem to need much care unlike other nems also, I have forgotten to feed him for a week before and he was fine, I guess he gets enough from the water column

I think they all need food, but I know some will survive on what they can collect from your water column, I feed mine specifically my condy to stop it from moving, I feed my carpet because I read that if you dont they might try eating your fish, but the rock anemone get's fed because my hands are already in the tank feeding the other stuff

I know Coralfarmer is in Frederick MD and will do free pick up if you spend $50+ on coral, I think it's MR. Coral but cannot confirm 100% that it's the same guy, I'm going to ERC to pick up my rics tonight I can let you know if they have any, never been there before but Ive heard great things, all this talk or rock anemone's has got me wanting another one lol, they are kinda cool and they are super easy to keep, I have done some questionable things in my 1st year of reef keeping and no matter how much I have abused my system my rock anemone always seems un phased lol

I know Coralfarmer is in Frederick MD and will do free pick up if you spend $50+ on coral, I think it's MR. Coral but cannot confirm 100% that it's the same guy, I'm going to ERC to pick up my rics tonight I can let you know if they have any, never been there before but Ive heard great things, all this talk or rock anemone's has got me wanting another one lol, they are kinda cool and they are super easy to keep, I have done some questionable things in my 1st year of reef keeping and no matter how much I have abused my system my rock anemone always seems un phased lol

oh yeah Coralfarmer sells on Ebay, just incase I didnt make that clear in my post, I just narrow my search by region and he pops up, only thing I dont like is he doesnt have a buy it now, so it's hard to tell if your going to spend more than $50

Just saw on the marine scene forum that they have Rock anemones in stock, they look really nice, not sure how far they are from you, they are in the sterling VA are, I went there on a sunday and they were closed, so dont do that lol

Can anemones live on light alone or do you have to feed them?

I don't feed my RBTA and it's getting way big. I used to every once in a while feed it a few drops of frozen just because it looks cool to watch it eat. But I don't do that anymore in hopes that it will slow it's growth. I don't have experience w/ other nems but I don't believe they need extra feedings if you have adequate light.