Just lost a 14 year old Hippo Tang

zygote2k

One of our clients just lost the Hippo Tang that he has had for 14 years. It lived the first 11 years in a 55g then spent the last 3 in a 90. It was 8" long.

What's the longevity of Hippos? Size range? I have one that is about 6 years old and it's nearly a foot long.

Here's a new site that I've not seen before: Animal Diversity at University of Michigan.  It says, 30 years on the high side in the wild, 20 years in captivity (typical 8-20 years).

Common surgeon can live more than 30 years in the wild. In aquariums, where they more readily acquire diseases, common surgeon generally do not live more than 20 years and more commonly survive only 8 to 12 years. (Dunder, 2003; Finacom, et al., 2008)
Common surgeon can live more than 30 years in the wild. In aquariums, where they more readily acquire diseases, common surgeon generally do not live more than 20 years and more commonly survive only 8 to 12 years. (Dunder, 2003; Finacom, et al., 2008)

(edited)

I have vague memories of talking with a biologist in St. Thomas, one of the things we talked about were lifespans of fish. The Hippo tang, if I remember right, the oldest she found was roughly 18 years old and about a foot long. I didn't ask how it was measured, but I'd assume its the standard scientific tip of the nose to the last vertebrae.

I think the conversation spawned off an Invasive species conversation about the Lionfish.

Edited by Happyfeet

I have vague memories of talking with a biologist in St. Thomas, one of the things we talked about were lifespans of fish. The Hippo tang, if I remember right, the oldest she found was roughly 18 years old and about a foot long. I didn't ask how it was measured, but I'd assume its the standard scientific tip of the nose to the last vertebrae.

I think the conversation spawned off an Invasive species conversation about the Lionfish.

Not sure if it translates to all fish but I know with some fish like salmon and such they can determine the age by the size of a bone in their "ear". Essentially the same as counting the rings on a tree trunk. But of course for this method the fish has to have already died.