Sand hills from critters in the tank

AlanM

Does anyone try to keep their sand kind of level in the tank?  Mine used to be totally level at about 1.5" deep, but I have a pistol shrimp and tiger tail sea cucumber and they really move the stuff around.  I'm getting big hills that are about 4" deep at this point, and I wasn't going for a DSB in the system. 

It would be futile to try to keep it totally level, but don't really want hydrogen sulfide pockets building up in the tank.  Should I try to level out the high points or just leave it be?

I'm growing to dislike my pistol shrimp. I have about the same amount of sand and he turns over the left half of my tank and nassarius (sp) turn the other half somewhat. Last night my pistol grabbed my small frogspawn and it's gone. Don't see it anywhere within reach :/

The pistol shrimp was one of the first in my tank. I havent seen him for 6 months although I hear him all the time. Then as I was trying to see what was going on with the sand hills I spied his white and red stripey claws, so now I know who to blame for the hill next to my big flat rock. From the amount of sand there he must have the entire underneath of it excavated. Glad I pushed it all the way to the bottom when I set up the tank.

If you are going to do that I would level them by using the suction vac... It's not worth the risk of sending massive poop storm in the tank wiping out everything in its path

I have the same problem with my pistol shrimp but it doesn't bother me because after couple days the previous mound will be gone and new one is built. I just think that due to my pistol shrimp my sand bed remains pretty clean. Now as far as stealing and killing my coral goes he has destroyed at least $100 worth of corals, not his fault since he is just trying decorate his home :).

MIne doesn't seem to venture out far enough to steal corals, that I can see, but I do leave the empty shells in there for him if he wants them.  I'm getting a pile of them in one spot, so I think I know where he is.  I hope he decides to move the pile around, though.