Orange Pavonna

sen5241b

I have a screen over a new Orange Pavonna for purposes of light acclimation. Its been in my tank about 2 or 3 weeks. Nice orange color. Take the screen off for only about 6 hour exposing it 16 inches under a 150 watt MH during which it bleaches half its color away. F&*$! S%!T!

Sucks. Can you move it anywhere else in the tank, with less light??? Is there a way to get thinner screens, or make it gradually thinner/higher up???

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

what i used to do when changing bulbs, acclimating etc is do layers of screen...so every few days you can remove a layer so its a slow acclimation...by just having one layer and removing it the light is too intense too quickly.

sorry, I know its frustrating!...It will come back though...just keep it in a shaded area

what i used to do when changing bulbs, acclimating etc is do layers of screen...so every few days you can remove a layer so its a slow acclimation...by just having one layer and removing it the light is too intense too quickly.

sorry, I know its frustrating!...It will come back though...just keep it in a shaded area

Its that last layer that worries me.

If you just leave it under the final light wont it eventually acclimate to the light level you want and color up for that light instead?

Seems better to look at a slightly bleached one for a few weeks/months than looking at an ugly screen in your tank?

If you just leave it under the final light wont it eventually acclimate to the light level you want and color up for that light instead?

Seems better to look at a slightly bleached one for a few weeks/months than looking at an ugly screen in your tank?

I'm thinking you need to look at the density of the screen. Removing one layer of thick screen can be a pretty big change in light.

QUESTION: how much less light in there just inside the shadow of a rock? I always assumed its not enough for any coral.

My orange pavona sits under an overhead rock in constant shade. These corals do not like bright light. I would put it in the shadow and watch it grow. 

Good info. What else do you keep in the shadows?

Interesting. My pavona colony is growing on the base of my rockwork and is happy, but I have frags of it at the highest points in the tank and they are fine with the bright light as much as the colony is in the dim..

Interesting. My pavona colony is growing on the base of my rockwork and is happy, but I have frags of it at the highest points in the tank and they are fine with the bright light as much as the colony is in the dim..

wHAT COLOR IS YOUR Pavona?

Good info. What else do you keep in the shadows?

Nothing else is directly in shadow. I do have some mushrooms in the shade, but they grew there of their own accord, and others are growing in the light.