Phosphates

brcolli2

I have been battling a phosphate problem in my tank and could not find the source.  Today I tested the water in my saltwater mixing container (a brute trash can) and got a reading of 52 on my hanna ultra low phosphorus checker (approximately .16 ppm).  Do you think a good cleaning will solve this problem, or is the phosphate most likely leaking from the trash can itself?  Short of replacing the container what would you recommend doing?

I finally have my phosphates down to .03 in the tank, and now I am afraid to do a water change.  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian 

Rinse it out well with some vinegar...rinse with rodi...make some new water and test after a few hours of it sitting in there...

I've not heard of brutes leaching phosphates so its probably just something that needs to be cleaned more often...

Including whatever pump you use in there...

I would check your TDS as well, when was the last time you changed your filters? I have made it a habit to take my 55 drum out and rinse it every 3 months (so once, but I plan on it again in 2 more months) because my salt leaves residue after mixing. I pretty much do what Kim suggested above when I clean it.

I changed all of my filters in the middle of October. My Tds meter is still reading 0, and my pressure hasn't dropped. I will try giving the trash can a good scrub. Would definitely be easier if I could take it outside and use the hose.

I need to test my newly mixed water. With 0TDS going in, I dont see where the phosphate would come from in new water, though, but you do hear people report it from time to time.

It could be the salt mix you are using. They usually say "no phosphates" or something similar, but if you are seeing a problem I would try changing that out as well.  Trust, but verify. 

From both AWI and Spectrapure- "If your TDS is truly zero then there is no phosphates in your mix water."

Hanna ULR meters do not read fresh water and it is suspect about freshly mixed salt water. Test the tank only. Source is usually feeding and sometimes dry rock.

What are you feeding?

Edited by mr.x-ray

I am feeding spectrum pellets and my sis. I have gotten much better about only feeding what the fish eat, and blowing off my rocks. I am also cleaning my filter sock much more frequently and have given my sump two good cleanings. The phosphates are getting under control in my tank. Hopefully it was just a false reading as mr. X-ray suggested. I am going to give my mixing container a good cleaning just in case. I really appreciate all the help.

A little bubble algae and some algae on the glass, but nothing bad. I am not getting much polyp extension from my sps and poor coloring, so I was thinking that PO4 may be the cause.

I know every tank is different, by my phosphates are really high, and I have bright, growing, polyp extended SPS.

Although the issue(s) put forth in the following links are not solutions to your question, it could go a long way into further examining the PO4 topic. It's purely a debate with no right or wrong answer.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2366953

And was recently discussed/debated on WAMAS here:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/63366-awesome-high-po4-sps-tank/

I use brutes and see no issues but I have seen threads on other forums questioning this. When this topic has come up, it could be the people looking for rationalization. Using brutes are pretty common in this hobby.