Quieter pump..

dante411x

I'm considering getting a different pump for my skimmer. The current one is starting to give me a headache anytime I walk into the room now.

Quick fun facts: it's a downdraft Beckett skimmer, external and the pump must also be external. Right now, I'm using an iwaki 55 rlt and it's about the smallest pump I can use. I could go up to any size really, if there is a quiet pump that would put out the pressure of an iwaki 100... That would be even better.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about it, but according to threads on RC about these skimmers, a dc pump won't put out the pressure required to operate it correctly

i have a little giant little giant 3mdq-sc external pump. its a couple months old if your interested

Thanks man, but that wouldn't provide the kind of flow I need. Honestly to make it work perfectly I need a pump that can do 1600 gph at 6' head.

How is your pump plumbed?

My return pump was very loud when it was plumbed with PVC so I replaced a section with some clear hose to reduce the vibration and it is silent now.

My return pump was very loud when it was plumbed with PVC so I replaced a section with some clear hose to reduce the vibration and it is silent now.

Hmm. It's all PVC. That's weird.

However the noise is literally the pump. It's coming from within it. Just loud mechanical hum that seems to carry through my entire house.

That's how mine was too, the noise of the pump seems to be amplified through the pvc. I only replaced about 8" with clear hose and it made a huge difference.

9e840b135e1c5e838470cf7d5650f7d5_zps01ba

That's how mine was too, the noise of the pump seems to be amplified through the pvc. I only replaced about 8" with clear hose and it made a huge difference.

Posted Image

I may have to try that. Would be a pretty easy mod. Do you replace the intake or the output with hose?

• 2 weeks later...

+100 to that advice. I replaced a part of the intake and a part of the output hose with clear hose that I can just replace if it ever gets too dirty. It's ridiculously quiet now. I can still hear the pump, but just barely. The whole system is almost silent now. THANK YOU!

And the best part is that the whole replacement was $30. Much better than buying a new pump :)

What type of beckett skimmer do you have i have run

different becketts on the dc pumps.

Only the really big ones or duals need a high pressure pump

and only then if you have a massive system.

Becketts only need 600 to 1200 gph at the nozzle to run good.

The new dc pump will run almost all becketts well.

I have run everything from a etss 1000 modded to a small diy

with dcpumps and my favorite pump for mid to small ones is a

deep blue internal.

• 2 weeks later...

What type of beckett skimmer do you have i have run

different becketts on the dc pumps.

Only the really big ones or duals need a high pressure pump

and only then if you have a massive system.

Becketts only need 600 to 1200 gph at the nozzle to run good.

The new dc pump will run almost all becketts well.

I have run everything from a etss 1000 modded to a small diy

with dcpumps and my favorite pump for mid to small ones is a

deep blue internal.

No idea how to explain. It might actually be not a Beckett skimmer.

It's a Marine Technical Concepts HSA 2000 downdraft skimmer. Been discontinued, but looks a lot like this one (it's the hsa1000) except it's basically two of these stuck together on the bottom.

http://www.marinetechnical.com/page8.html