My favorite sps

morgan175

The green montipora is one of my favorite corals. I don't know if I am ready to take care of this particular coral. The tank is a 110 high and the light is a current orbit with 2 150 halides and 2 PC 48 inch long. Tank been up and running for a year. I am sure everything is stable. I don't add calcium or anything I just do a water change about every 10 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torch, zoas, hammer,polyps,frogspawn some are new additions. How hardy are montipora. What I read that temp changes are hard on them and alkalinity swings. During the summer I do get over 78 around 80.

They're very forgiving coral.  You have to really screw up badly to kill one.  Go for it!!!

That's been my experience as well for the rather common variety. Once the start growing and acheive a good size, they can consume a lot of calcium and alkalinity. About that time, you'll notice your alkalinity dropping fast (by the day) and will need to supplement either with Kalk or some other means in order to keep your parameters stable. 10-day water changes may not be able to do it then.

What is your location, I have some montis you can have as well, or at least frags.

I am not ready. Tank is a mess the last days my calcium is down and alkalinity. Just put a ATo on. Now I'm wondering what I need to get to make the rest stable. One frustrated person

I am not ready. Tank is a mess the last days my calcium is down and alkalinity. Just put a ATo on. Now I'm wondering what I need to get to make the rest stable. One frustrated person

Let's start at the top. What kind of setup do you have? What size is the tank, what equipment, what livestock (fish, corals), etc. What tests do you have and what are your parameters (calcium, alk, etc.)?

How often do you change water and do you supplement calcium and alkalinity?  (If your calcium and alkalinity are dropping then it's going to be either consumption or precipitation. Some answers to the questions that I've asked may help to pinpoint what's going on.)

• 3 weeks later...