A little Sunday morning DIY

DaveS

This is somewhat reefing related.

The wife and kids have been wanting one of those SodaStream set ups. You know the $100 machine that carbonates water using a little CO2 bottle that costs $30 to replace and $15 to refill. Well, instead of spending money for yet another thing to take up counter space and require high operational costs, I decided to combine my reefing and beer drinking experience to work.

Posted Image

Comes out to about $25 in parts and minimal operational costs. If the soda making novelty doesn't wear off, I may have a reason to get a larger CO2 bottle for my reef which will further reduce costs all around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveS are you a brewer? 

Wayne

Nice job! I have a Soda Stream and love it. Are you using it to just add fizz back to flat drinks or have you mixed syrups up yet?

The original idea was to make some "healthier" sodas for the kids by incorporating fruit/vegetable juices to make sodas. V8 has a version and we wanted to expand on that idea. But it is nice being able to put the fizz back into the 2L bottles that never seem to last. There are also lots of other ideas online such as sparkling wine that we may eventually play with.

DaveS are you a brewer? 

Wayne

I almost brewed but never got around to it. I have a few friends that do and just got the benefits of their expertise. :)

I love my sodastream and we just drink a lot of soda water without flavorings but my main beef is with the bottles not being able to run through the dishwasher.  Have you tried carbonating these yet?  What psi are you using?  The soda carbonators we use at the restaurant run at 120psi and the beer taps 6psi

I use the Sodastream and thought that you could do what Dave did but I was entirely un motivated to do so.

Kudos to you sir.

I am a brewer and distiller FWIW.

Oh really, I just put up a nice batch of pale ale last night :) We should swap some home brew :)