Alternative to filter socks?

Sharkey18

I

I do use a filter mat on the return pump suction to polish off the water. It is quilt batting cut into squares and I just throw it away every three days when i replace it.

Have you noticed how/if this affects your DT pod stock at all?

I have not seen any effects on the pod populations. There is so much surface area in the tank with the sand bed and rocks that I doubt the few that go over the overflow make a difference.

For those of you that toss your dirty socks into a bucket.  Don't they mold if you're holding them for weeks at a time?

they dry out really fast. never had mold or smell issues but i do use a sealed bucket just in case. trying to get a small dedicated euro-style washer for the fish room to make things even easier.

Edited by monkiboy

If you have a pod problem in your socks then i think that you have plenty to go around. Either way if they're in your sock then your pod population can't be that limited. Consider it as nutrient export. It also enables the population to recycle more frequently and as paul b has stated reproducing takes a lot of energy and therefore even more nutrient intake :)