Petco on Richmond Hwy in Alexandria

dante411x

Well, I decided to potentially waste $20 and bought a fish from that petco. It's a six line wrasse that they just got in two hours before. The fish is doing great so far in my QT, I'll put up a picture of him if there's any interest. Their store has some guys that seem to know what they're doing with fish, but their saltwater tanks still look fairly grim. Out of curiosity I tested the water that came with the fish and I was almost shocked. It read 0 on everything. No ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Salinity at 1.018. Not too bad Petco. Now here's to hoping the fish makes it!

As I think many have said, it really depends on the knowledge of the workers and the ability of them to be able to get things they need to eke the fish healthy, of course getting any sick livestock is a detriment...but I'm sure that happens to every vendor once in a while...

So getting this fish so soon after it came in is probably helpful..

Alexandria is one of the first stores to get fish from the district shipment. LaPlata, MD (by me) is one of the last. They might get fish by Thursday if at all.

Reef parameters should matter at my local Petco. Westminster MD. They almost always have a few softies in stock. Some nems on occasion too. Their fish livestock however, almost always looks horrible. I was there yesterday and they had an amazing looking firefish and a juvenile flame angel. Both were in super condition. I wanted them badly, but didn't buy them. The tank next to them had one dead and one very much almost dead maroon clowns. The tank above held a very emaciated yellow tang and another tank had a foxface that appeared to drunk. There's always death in those tanks. (At least at this store) very sad.

There's always death in the tanks at this petco as well. I've been coming in there for a few months now and always get terrified of how bad the tanks look. The ONLY reason I actually bought a fish from there is because it was only in the water for an hour or two. Now I'm really wondering what it is that is killing all of their fish... Might be bad corporate policies of how to stock those tanks or maybe a bad supplier..

Petco in Rockville is decent, the guy takes care of his tanks. The one in Germantown and Frederick not a chance, only been there once or twice... I did buy a snowflake clown for $50 but it was premium and it even had blue lines where the white meets the orange.

Mine is Leesburg is okay. I wouldn't make a trip to buy from there but I got a yellow clown goby from that store and it's been the healthiest fish I've had. The snails I got from there were good too. This fish had been there a month. They get shipments on Tuesdays.

Mine is Leesburg is okay. I wouldn't make a trip to buy from there but I got a yellow clown goby from that store and it's been the healthiest fish I've had. The snails I got from there were good too. This fish had been there a month. They get shipments on Tuesdays.

I agree ashley....it really isn't too bad...I have never bought fish from there but I inspect them whenever I run in there....and they really don't look too bad and have a pretty good selection....

plenty of death in our LFS' too... Its not just Petco..

very very true...nature of the beast I assume...