Cleaner Wrasse

the_elite_edge

What's the longest that anyone has ever been able to keep one of these alive ? How did you do it ? This is one of my favorite fish however I have never been lucky enough to keep them alive for an extended period of time.

I posted a picture of mine in my build thread last night - it's been in there since last winter sometime. Got him from Quantum Reefs. He eats just about anything that gets tossed in the tank, including picking at nori.

IMG_1371.JPG

I think peoples biggest problem with these are getting them to eat, I usually feed a lot and a variety of food which I think makes it easier for me rather then people who feed the same thing all the time. Mine is like Ron's and will eat anything I put in the tank now, just give it options. Last thing is just as you would do with other fish make sure it's healthy before you get it.

We have always had one in our larger tanks, the last one we had for maybe 4 years and gave it to someone, I think they still have it. We had it with a out 30 fish that were fed WELL. Not sure if there is any key to success, never really issues with them.

What's the longest that anyone has ever been able to keep one of these alive ? How did you do it ? This is one of my favorite fish however I have never been lucky enough to keep them alive for an extended period of time.

I responded to your thread at CMAS as well.

An excerpt from hobbyist "Evolved" wrasse notes..

"Labroides: I hesitate to even include this genus, as I big reservations against even buying them, let alone keeping them or recommending them for a reef tank. These are the “cleaner” wrasses, as in the wild they remove parasites and dead scales/tissue from other reef fish. My reservations against buying/keeping this genus are due to the following two reasons: they cannot be sustained long term in a closed system as a diet of prepared foods does not offer them the range of nutrition they require, and mostly the mere collection of this species impacts the overall health of a wild reef. There are a few success stories about keeping a cleaner wrasse long term, but for each success there are hundreds of failures. Please leave this fish in the ocean where it’s best suited. If the demand for sales of these species would cease, so would their wild collection."

Edited by ridetheducati

I normally get about two years out of them. I just lost one that we had for 2 years and 3 months. It jumped last month while feeding the tank. I went into the garage and slid the screen top over a few inches to feed the tank. Then went back into the house to watch them eat. After the five minute feed cycle was over I went back into the garage and found it had jumped up onto the screen top I had left open. still wet but lifeless. Probably only missed it by a minute or two. Our new replacement cleaner is doing great. I think their natural lifespan is short compared to other fish, something like 3-4 years in the wild. My fish love having it in the tank and they are always following it around begging to be cleaned. 

A video of the one that just past away. I have several fish that could swallow the wrasse whole but they never did, just loved to get cleaned by it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrLjEk18q8

I normally get about two years out of them. I just lost one that we had for 2 years and 3 months. It jumped last month while feeding the tank. I went into the garage and slid the screen top over a few inches to feed the tank. Then went back into the house to watch them eat. After the five minute feed cycle was over I went back into the garage and found it had jumped up onto the screen top I had left open. still wet but lifeless. Probably only missed it by a minute or two. Our new replacement cleaner is doing great. I think their natural lifespan is short compared to other fish, something like 3-4 years in the wild. My fish love having it in the tank and they are always following it around begging to be cleaned. 

A video of the one that just past away. I have several fish that could swallow the wrasse whole but they never did, just loved to get cleaned by it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrLjEk18q8

ok that is amazing...I can't get over the way that grouper opens his gills and everything...but whats with the YT?  He acts all impatient that its taking so long for his turn and then when he is up he freaks out.....lol

I have had mine for about 8 months now.

At my local Chinese restaurant they have 2 in there each about 4-5" long. ....I would think they must be at least 3-4 years old? The tank they have is around 1,500gallons.

Hunan Manor, Columbia MD.....amazing food!

I estimate tank is about 1,500 gallons, has a 4-5 blue hippo's, large yellow  tang and purple tangs. Some of the fish have significant bite marks from over the years. There is a decent amount of fish, and when the lighting is on, tank looks really nice.

my cleaner wrasse can be seen in this video from a while ago. Actually its time I post a new video, everything has grown out, and completely different.......here' s the vid anyways....

I have had mine for 8 months or longer and he is doing great. 

He also eats anything including picking at nori. 

I didn't do anything special.  I think the trick is getting a nice healthy fish to start.