Removing Xenia

BubbleHead

What's the best way to remove xenia without leaving pieces behind and having the pop up everywhere else.  I want to remove them all off of rocks and just let them grow on the glass.

I've kept them under control with an old bottle of Aptasia-X that I came across in one of my storage tubs. As for as removing them, cut them at the base with scissors and cover what's left with superglue gel or epoxy. That way, you can sell off or give away what you cut.

You will always have pop ups if the type of xenia you have reproduces that way - no way to stop that.  Does your xenia reproduce very quickly?  I have one that is very aggressive - it's amazing how quickly the base heals and starts growing new stalks.  I am constantly fighting it.  If it happens to be close to another rock it will attach within a couple of days.  I have to prune it every couple of weeks.  The other type I have is much smaller and compact and hardly spreads at all.

Stay on top of new growth - I agree with aggressively using epoxy to cover the base after you cut it off, and make sure you turn off powerheads while you are trimming.  It's not fun to have a fragged piece get lodged deep in the rock after zooming off in the flow after being cut.  They always land where you can't reach them!  I always run carbon for a day or so after fragging if I do it in the tank.  Keep your live rock at least 4-5 inches away from your glass if you don't want it spreading there.

If you let it stay on the glass then it will get back on the rocks.  One of the ways of self-propagation is to drop buds in the water column to be dispersed by the currents.  My advice is to decide whether you want them or not, and let that dictate your actions.  I had them once before and they totally took over my entire tank.

stuff grows like wild fire! Id say one of the fasted growing coral ever. I have a 18" section growing on my backglass in my main tank, which Ive fragged numerous times. Even had it hitch hike into my newest tank, and grew its own colony from scratch in 1 month from 1 tiny polyp.

This is a coral you can look at it in the morning, and sometimes even notice growth by the evening! love it!

The best way to remove it, I have found, is with a brush. Start at the edge of a base and it comes right off and won't grow back like a cutting.