Clownfish Egg/Fry Care

RW09903

Hello All,

Has anyone had any luck caring for clownfish eggs/fry? My pair of Clarkii clowns laid eggs a day or so ago and I wanted to gauge the difficulty with raising them. I was thinking about buying live Roti's and maybe a small breeder tank if it's worth it.

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcomed!

DBartco, Almon, and Fazio92 have all raised fry to the juvenile stage. In fact, one of my clowns is from Doug. You'll need to raise live rotifers to feed the newly emerged fry. I've not vetted this site, but it may provide good information. See the steps on the left side of the page.

I have read a bunch on it. Looks like you really have to pay attention to detail. The fry seem so fragile. Worth a try I would like the challenge. Let us know how it goes.

If you have the itch to raise fry, there is a good site called the Marine Breeding Initiative.  I think the website is www.mbisite but i'm not sure.  Because it seems that 90% of the members are clown breeders, it could be renamed the Clown Breeding Iniative.  Just kidding. :cool:

If you can find a copy of Joyce Wilkerson's book "Clownfishes: A guide to their captive care...."

http://www.amazon.com/Clownfishes-Captive-Breeding-Natural-History/dp/1890087041

All you ever need or wanted to know about breeding clownfish.  Once you get set up it is actually easier than you think.  They have a short larval period (8-10 days) and some grow relatively quickly.

There is also a good book about raising peppermint shrimp that has a different approach:

http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Train-Your-Peppermint-Shrimp/dp/0966778448/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384913544&sr=1-1&keywords=peppermint+shrimp+book

good luck.

The marine breeders initiative is also a good site.  Lots of experience!