How do I go about splitting my lta

Dpeyton8

This thing is at least. 18 inches my tank is only 20x20x20 I'm planning on either selling half of it with a skunk clown or giving the other half to my mother for her tank either way this thing has grown so massive it's taking up the whole tank lol how do I go about propagating it?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I googled this and found two separate references that say this thing cannot be cut.  It reproduces sexually and then only if an opposite sex partner is nearby.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condylactis_gigantea

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2292411

Wish you could, I'd love to have a piece of this thing.

i've propagated h. crispa and m.doreensis successfully to at least the 2-3 month mark before they were sold, healthy, eating, & growing. there seems to be some controversy around these and i don't know why. both calfo and shimek has posted up success with a majority of all sea anemone species dating back to 2005 if i remember correctly and while there are some points i don't agree with based on my own experience, they are certainly great resources when it comes to nems, their health, and propagation.

i'd read up on those two and their propagation practices for optimal success prior to venturing to complete this task. obviously, starting with the healthiest of specimens prior to manual cloning is of the most initial importance.

Edited by monkiboy

so I guess this thing is just going to have to stay this big sheesh I don't mind it but it is huge makes my 7 inch bubble tip look like a baby

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I have done it a few times but the survival rates are terrible, I would not try it. Normally one half will heal and survive while the other dies. They do not reproduce asexually like the colonial E. quadricolor does.