Encrusting Montis

YHSublime

So I have a really nice frag of both Sunset and Pokerstar Montipora. They are both fully encrusted over the frag plugs and have not had a chance to encrust to a rock. if I were to glue them down to something, I presume they would take to it, and encrust to a rock, despite the fact they have covered the frag plug already?

Correct. I would make sure you give them enough space to grow bc they're pretty fierce.

At this stage, room is already scare in the 150. Maybe I will give coating my new tonga branches a go.

Time to upgrade.

<sigh>

The sunset is very very aggressive and will kill anything it touches and take it over. Be careful where u out that one.

Gotcha. Maybe it will make it's way into one of my frag packs. Thanks for the heads up.

Sunset monti growth over a few months:

5737790281_33a0bee31c.jpg
5738343080_eb8a33687c.jpg
P1000543 by mteske1, on Flickr
5738343210_c5f1f23776.jpg
P1010045 by mteske1, on Flickr
5934973127_dcff3370fb.jpg
P1010336 by mteske1, on Flickr
6415186209_b22839de53.jpg
P1020136 by mteske1, on Flickr

6415189487_8369f9bcf2.jpg
P1020155 by mteske1, on Flickr
It's one of if not the fastest growing monti I have ever had.  Also, my favorite.
Edited by BowieReefer84

5737790281_33a0bee31c.jpg

5738343080_eb8a33687c.jpg
P1000543 by mteske1, on Flickr

5738343210_c5f1f23776.jpg
P1010045 by mteske1, on Flickr

5934973127_dcff3370fb.jpg
P1010336 by mteske1, on Flickr

6415186209_b22839de53.jpg
P1020136 by mteske1, on Flickr

6415189487_8369f9bcf2.jpg
P1020155 by mteske1, on Flickr
It's one of if not the fastest growing monti I have ever had.  Also, my favorite.

I agree, I love this one, and it grows very quickly. 

BTW, thanks for this post all. I was unaware that this was such a potent coral. I will be sure to keep it in check as I have it growing near some really nice pieces at the moment. 

In the past I would mount a bunch of small rubble to egg crate and hang it from the rim on the back wall attach the frag. Allow it to grow out and just pull pieces of rubble from the egg crate and sell as frags. I use to do the same fro green star polyps. Just my O2

That's amazing for 2 months, thanks for sharing those pictures and your experience!

BTW, thanks for this post all. I was unaware that this was such a potent coral. I will be sure to keep it in check as I have it growing near some really nice pieces at the moment. 

Agreed, I will be extra careful with my placement.

In the past I would mount a bunch of small rubble to egg crate and hang it from the rim on the back wall attach the frag. Allow it to grow out and just pull pieces of rubble from the egg crate and sell as frags. I use to do the same fro green star polyps. Just my O2

Cool idea, great 2C worth!

That growth is after hacking it away on the one side to keep it from growing into the jedi mind trick.  I was blasting it with LED lighting.  Sunset monti LOVES led's.  The original frag was from Epleeds T5 tank.

Edited by BowieReefer84

That growth is after hacking it away on the one side to keep it from growing into the jedi mind trick.  I was blasting it with LED lighting.  Sunset monti LOVES led's.  The original frag was from Epleeds T5 tank.

I currently have it placed on top of the tonga rock structure in the center, right underneath the two evergrows, although I like DC's idea. I also have a starburst monti that I would love to grow out like my red monti. I'm more a fan of plating than encrusting, although I have a nice frag of jedi mind trick that I'm trying to grow over a rock.

DSC_0259_zpsbf9c90d3.jpg

Agreed. Mine had good growth under T5's but it is exploding under my new LEDs. I like to use my turkey baster to blow water across it to watch it go from green to orange as the polyps retract. It's definitely a cool piece.

Edited by jackers