Flasher Wrasse(s)

Enkay

Anyone have these beautiful fish? What is your general experience? How many do you keep or recommend to keep in a 120 gal?

Any tips and/or advise? I am thinking of getting 4.

Thanks!

Enkay, I just added a mccoskers flasher wrasse to my 56g display and he's my new favorite fish I think.  He had a rough start during the first 24 hours as almost all of my fish picked on him, especially my Coral Beauty, Six Line Wrasse, and Two Spot Hogfish.  That wore off pretty quickly though, and he is not pretty settled in.  Gorgeous and graceful fish, that I'm so glad I got!

(edited)

WHat I wanted to find out is if I can keep multiple flasher wrasses in my 120. Or if I can keep one male with a harem. The article previously mentioned does not seem to say anything about it. Was wondering if anyone has any intel on it.

Also, will a flasher wrasse wipe out my incredible pod population? Do want to get mandarins in the future so have been building up a very nice pod population in the tank and sump.

Edited by Enkay

WHat I wanted to find out is if I can keep multiple flasher wrasses in my 120. Or if I can keep one male with a harem. The article previously mentioned does not seem to say anything about it. Was wondering if anyone has any intel on it.

Also, will a flasher wrasse wipe out my incredible pod population? Do want to get mandarins in the future so have been building up a very nice pod population in the tank and sump.

I can't comment on multiple flashers, but I can report that I'm busting the notion that a flasher can't be in the same tank as a six line.

As for pods, I haven't seen my McCoskers pick at pods at all yet. And my mandarin seems nicely fat and happy.

Did you miss this bit of information...

"The one rule to never violate is keeping two dominant males of the same species together. This might work for a while, but surely will not end well. Furthermore, unless you are an experienced keeper, I would not advise two males of the same species together. While it is possible to have a dominant and sub-dominant male in the same system, please don’t give it a try unless you know what you’re doing.

Males of different species can be kept together, within the same genus (there’s a few species/species combination exceptions) or between different genuses. The system must be large enough however, say at least 100 gallons or so. Females of any species/genus will almost always mix just fine.

A pair/trio/etc of one species may also be kept with the same of another species, and often works quite well as the males will be too pre-occupied with the conspecific females to pay attention to much else. However, as I said before, there is no guarantee a female will stay female, and may transition to male for various reasons. Sometimes this now sub-dominant male will “work things out” with the dominant male, other times they will not and you’ll end up one less fish. Again, an observant aquarist is required and one should intervene when necessary."

• 1 month later...

I have a red velvet flasher wrasse. He flashes all the time and it's awesome. I have him in a 250 and I had to remove the smaller male because the larger one was going to kill it. I would recommend ONE pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I got 1 male and 2 females a couple days ago. As of now, they are not coming out much and hide in the rocks.

I'm in love with my current flasher, though he has not done his flashing routine for me :( so I'm trying to see if I can get 3 or 4 females and see if that makes a difference.... :)

I have a red velvet flasher wrasse. He flashes all the time and it's awesome. I have him in a 250 and I had to remove the smaller male because the larger one was going to kill it. I would recommend ONE pair.

I presume you mean red velvet fairy wrasse.  Not a flasher, but mine does flare his fins quite often.

Warren

Advice: Make sure you only have one fully developed male or you will have a fight.  

I have a trio coming in this week! Woot.  1 terminal phase male and 2 females.

Yes, I have a red velvet fairy wrasse but they do flash.The back half of his busy turns almost white and he gets a white stripe down his forehead. Its great.