Skimmer Purchase

NateCamReef

I'm looking to upgrade my skimmer for my 180g and I can get a good deal on the Bubble Magus Curve 7. Anyone have experience with this skimmer? It's priced at $175 shipped. I have a pretty heavy bio-load, 55 gallon sump with 50lbs of live rock and a 30 gallon fuge with chaeto and more LR. I have a mixed reef with softies, LPS and SPS. The polyp extension on my acros is unreal, maybe 1/8 of an inch consistently....so I'm not trying to fix any real problem.

The skimmer I have now is only rated for 100g but pulls out horrible stuff every day. I'm literally emptying my skimmer cup every day, and its always completely black with gunk. I'm happy with what its pulling out but I just know there's more in my tank that a bigger skimmer could get. 

I'm really trying to avoid spending money now, and then having to spend even more for a better skimmer down the road (if that's the case with the Curve 7)

All thoughts are welcome!

In my opinion, you get what you pay for when it comes to skimmers.  I have never personally used a bubble magus but I've read that they are pretty cheaply made.  That doesn't mean that they won't perform well though.

My recommendation is if it's pulling that well don't mess with it. Get a swabbie and a skimmate locker so you can go to a once a month routine :)

if things are doing well and you're happy with how great everything looks, then leave it alone. it's obviously working. the upgrades mentioned above will allow it to run slightly more efficiently and less maintenance for you and more measuring of PE/enjoying your tank ;)

In my opinion, you get what you pay for when it comes to skimmers.  I have never personally used a bubble magus but I've read that they are pretty cheaply made.  That doesn't mean that they won't perform well though.

LOL...steve should know...he is the King of Skimmers....I honestly would value his opinion....if there is one thing he knows its skimmers and probably also pumps lol...

Where are you buying this curve 7 at for 175 shipped?! I've been looking for one. cheapest I've seen is from fish street. They have it for 170 with $60 shipping.