Another food making party

JMsAquarium

I am in! Just let me know what I need to bring. This will be after the Kalk party right? Is JM's place close to a metro stop?

46661[/snapback]

Yes it will be after, before, I can't, and it wouldn't be fair to do it the same day as the kalk party.

Closest metro is East Falls Church, Orange line towards Vienna. About a couple of miles but I can pick you up before the start time, no problem.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zac, Stevil

regardless if you don't have critters now, you will eventually, right?

46608[/snapback]

Yes, as exciting as water, rock and sand is, I do plan on getting some critters :). I'm definitely up for whenver this is and can even take care of acquiring all the raw fish. There is a great international food market right by me that has has a huge variety of sealife, dried seaweed and other things that I'd imagine would be good ingredients. I'd just need the shopping list.

Yes it will be after, before, I can't, and it wouldn't be fair to do it the same day as the kalk party.

Closest metro is East Falls Church, Orange line towards Vienna. About a couple of miles but I can pick you up before the start time, no problem.

46663[/snapback]

Awesome! I will be there! Thanks again.

Guys this is fine but can we start putting a full list of ingredients needed? After all this is one of the most important parts of the party, don't you say?

it will be easy if you go back to the post made mid summer at Steve's house or perhaps early Spring at Tony's house and copy those recepies.

46708[/snapback]

Ahhh but I was kind of trying to get away with my lazyness :P :idea2: :D

This is Glen's recipe - you will find the original post under DIY posts.

Fresh seafood:

Some combination of the ingredients below and it makes up a relatively small percent of the total - maybe 10-20%?

shrimp (squeeze the heads and usually use the "meat" in the fish food)

oysters - blend well and may have Vibriostatic properties

various other shellfish (mussels, clams, periwinkles, etc. - the bloodier, the better...live is great (shucking sucks but gives a good final product)

Fish roe (sometimes available at Asian markets)

Frozen foods: This makes up perhaps 20-30% of the mix - some are from an aquarium store, some from the grocer

Artemia - adult

Artemia nauplii (baby brine shrimp) (enriched, if possible)

Mysid shrimp

Sea urchin roe

Flying fish roe

Dried Aquarium Foods

this makes up the majority of my mix - probably 40%

Golden Pearls - all sizes available, but a majority of the smallest size

Cyclop-Eze

VibraGro

Powdered marine flake

Phytoplankton

makes up maybe 2% of mix or less?

Tahitian Blend (I use DT's seperately)

Supplements

makes up maybe 2-5% of mix?

Super Selco ( a big squeeze)

Sea Green Vitamin supplements - various brands, powdered, from Whole Foods market

Also add Echinacea capsules, the skins of colorful vegetables and fruits, various pigment complexes of carotenoids, etc. and/or antioxidants from Whole Foods market.

In terms of preparation, puree the solid seaoods, mix in the frozen ingredients, soak the dry/powdered ingredients in the wet ingredients, combine them all together and let them sit for a few hours, and then freeze them into small flats in ziplocs in the freezer. Usually wind up with about $50.00 in foods per batch and make about a gallon or so of food that lasts a couple or more months.

• 4 weeks later...

Gang.

I will have to postpone this food party til mid-end February. If the majority wants to still do it at end of January, I understand, but I will not be able to host it then.

Let me know.

Thanks

JM

If I picked up the ball on this for say 15Jan, 3pm at my place in Falls Church, How many folks would be interested in attending? Would have the football games on. Have one old blender to use and a small food processor as well.

Howard

Howard, this is the collected list over this thread. Don't think I miss any. Anyone else interested in hopping on board over and above this list?

JMsAquarium

jwildman

rioreef

HowardofNOVA

Ne0eN

stevil

zmalexander

Jon Lazar

discordja

143gadgets

Jean-Marie, are you still interested even if you can't host?

It may be a good idea to see if BRK can get a bulk of the necessary goods for pickup over the frag swap?

If I picked up the ball on this for say 15Jan, 3pm at my place in Falls Church, How many folks would be interested in attending? Would have the football games on. Have one old blender to use and a small food processor as well.

Howard

48582[/snapback]

I guess what we need to do is find out who has what, who is bringing what and divided it up when we get there? Suggestions on what you can bring?

Right now, I have a blender, small food processor, 2 boxes of gallon size zipbags (Will p/u more), Nori sheets, garlic. Work on more soon.

Howard

Howard, this is the collected list over this thread.  Don't think I miss any.  Anyone else interested in hopping on board over and above this list?

JMsAquarium

jwildman

rioreef

HowardofNOVA

Ne0eN

stevil

zmalexander

Jon Lazar

discordja

143gadgets

Jean-Marie, are you still interested even if you can't host?

It may be a good idea to see if BRK can get a bulk of the necessary goods for pickup over the frag swap?

48591[/snapback]

Yes I am still interested, but will confirm definitely whether I can attend or not by next week.

The latter part of January will be better for me. If it is on the 15th I might not be able to attend (work trip to Daytona, which would also preclude me from a mid-Feb party). When a date is firmed up I will let you all know if I can attend, if not I would still like to get some of the food made.

cr

Um, can I join in too? I've no experience in this and no raw fish to contribute, but am willing to chip in cold cash (much less stinky) to help defray costs. If we could somehow figure out the cost per person, maybe this would work. Also, could I pick it up the next day? I work in Falls Church so that would be most convenient . . . let me know.

Hi guys:

I'm in. Howard, let me know what I can contribute.

I see garlic is already on the list. Is Super Selco is the recipe, is it part of the plan?

FF

Selco, could work!

Who is planning on coming for this now and what do you have to bring with you?

Let's try to have an idea by Friday what we HAVE to bring, so we can order additional to have by then? Johnny's prices are very good, so we will need to pickup at least a block each of Brine, Mysis and Cyclopeeze before then.

Going by Jacobs list (rather long) but maybe we can narrow down by then.

Howard

I'm intending to, I am happy to buy to help the cause just need to know what

Selco, could work!

Who is planning on coming for this now and what do you have to bring with you?

Let's try to have an idea by Friday what we HAVE to bring, so we can order additional to have by then? Johnny's prices are very good, so we will need to pickup at least a block each of Brine, Mysis and Cyclopeeze before then.

Going by Jacobs list (rather long) but maybe we can narrow down by then.

Howard

48799[/snapback]

ATTENTION!

Sorry Guys, my side work remodeling a bathroom is going to take me into this weekend and I'll be needing the time to finish this job! $3,000.00 riding on this and will need to request someone else pickup the ball on me if you can???

Just too much on my plate until mid-Feb!!

Sincerely,

Howard

ok, if you guys need a place I can offer my house (hope is not too cold outside to brew food), but I don't have a spare or available blender. I can offer the house late Feb. and anytime in March. Can we set a date now so we can coordinate? Also who is bringing the blender and food? What do you need me to buy? I need all these datails to make it another sensational WAMAS get together. :D

forgot to mention. I may have several frags available that day... and yes we can also make it a frag trade party. but please keep the frag trade record on a separate posting.

what happened to this thread? has the event been postponed or has everyone given up or? anything I can do to help make this happen?

what happened to this thread?  has the event been postponed or has everyone given up or?  anything I can do to help make this happen?

49731[/snapback]

Just postponed, we have to figure out a new date.

I can host it on:

Sun Feb 26

Sun March 5

LMK